1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remakes better than the first

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jan 16, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This has probably been done before (know it has with music), but what the hell ...

On the SERPENTINE SHEL!!! thread, someone asked why they remake great movies and ruin them. I tried to think of any remakes I've seen that I said to myself, "Damn, that was better than the original."

I can't think of many. "Scarface" certainly was better than the original, though they were really very different films.

I can't really think of any others off the top of my head. There's probably a few horror movies that were better the second time around, but I can't think of any.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Dawn of the Dead is the only one that comes to mind, though it has been a very long time since I saw the original.

The remake in 2004 was beautifully shot and the zombies were the best I've seen, like a pack of rabid dogs.

If I can cheat and include television, the new Battlestar Galactica is better than its relatively cheesy predecessor, but very dark and it won't appeal to everybody.

3. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Haven't seen either version, but last year's remake of "3:10 to Yuma" was compared favorably to its predecessor.

5. We're not talking sequels.

I thought King Kong (the second remake, not the first) was better than the original, if only because of the special effects.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Ocean's 11.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

[​IMG]

8. good call on Ocean's

A Christmas Carol has been done well several times

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Romero's Dawn of the Dead is a classic. The other one, not so much.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm really looking forward to the new Rambo movie with Stallone.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Isn't 3:10 to Yuma a remake?

I have not seen either one, though.

That's all I got.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Debbie Does Fort Worth?

Draft saved Draft deleted