1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remaining Led Zep members to tour?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Wasn't that in 88?

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If you have Comcast onDemand, under music, they have a Led Zeppelin choice, and a big chunk of music culled from concert footage.
    Kashmir was about nine minutes long and from a 1970 concert.
    It was amazing.
    Just watch all of those and save the several hundred dollars it will cost to get one lousy seat ticket.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Tangerine, The Rain Song, Ten Years Gone, Dazed & Confused, Dancing Days, Over the Hills and Far Away, The Lemon Song, Hey Hey What Can I Do, Fool in the Rain, Misty Mountain Hop, Going to California, All My Love, Down by the Seaside, Black Country Woman, Black Dog, Custard Pie...damn this list is getting kind of long.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Achilles Last Stand
    Good Times, Bad Times
    Communication Breakdown
    Stairway to Heaven (Song Remains the Same version)
    Dazed and Confused
    When the Levee Breaks
    Going to California

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That's a neat trick, considering Kashmir wasn't written until 1974 or so, and performed until 1975. Also, a neat trick on the "amazing"-ness . . . . . the song is pretty overlong and repetitive, and live it's a snore compared to the blues wankfests they turn some other tunes into.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

True, it's on Physical Graffiti, which came out in 1975. Plant reportedly wrote the lyrics while on a car trip through north Africa in 1973.

The version you saw was probably from Knebworth in 1979 ...

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I see that the Dec. 10 show will also have Paul Rodgers on it now. Does this mean Page and Rodgers can do a Firm song, too?

Also, I had no idea about this, but Jason Bonham has been playing drums for Foreigner as of late.

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

I didn't read the first 2 pages of this thread so I apologize for DBing but if you have XM, they have an all-Zep channel (59) that runs until May.
    I listen a few times a week, great stuff.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'll break it down by album:

Led Zeppelin I: Fave -- You Shook Me; Worst -- Black Mountain Side
    Led Zeppelin II: Fave -- What Is And What Should Never Be; Worst -- Ramble On
    Led Zeppelin III: Fave -- Celebration Day; Worst -- Hats Off To Roy Harper
    Led Zeppelin IV: Fave -- Misty Mountain Hop; Worst -- Four Sticks
    Houses Of The Holy: Fave -- Rain Song; Worst -- The Crunge
    Physical Graffiti: Fave -- Houses Of The Holy, Custard Pie (can't choose); Worst -- The Rover
    Presence: Fave -- Hots On For Nowhere; Worst -- Achillies Last Stand (boring as fuck)
    In Through The Out Door: Fave -- Carouselambra (deeply underrated); Worst -- All My Love
    Coda: Fave -- Ozone Baby; Worst -- Bonzo's Montreux, Wearing And Tearing
    Non-album: Fave -- Travelin' Riverside Blues

Presence is by far their worst album. As mentioned, In Through The Out Door is quite underrated.

Best album? As constituted, I'd go with Led Zeppelin I, but the best nine tracks from Physical Graffiti beat the best nine from I, but Graffiti has a lot of filler, so it's a tough call.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Man, I love "Wearing And Tearing"!

"Carouselambra" drifted through the iPod not long ago. I hadn't heard it years and it was pretty cool, way, way different than anything else they'd done but kind of indicative of where music was at the time.

My fave Zep songs, in no particular order:

"Hot Dog"

"Rock And Roll" (one of the greatest openings to any song - ever)

"Good Times, Bad Times" (fave Page solo)

"Black Dog"

"D'yer Mak'er"

"In The Evening"

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Rock and Roll (I agree with Huggy)
    Communication Breakdown
    Kashmir

And I love XM channel 59.

12. Never got these guys.
    Never will.

Draft saved Draft deleted