1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remaining Led Zep members to tour?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's funny that you say that (though it's true), but Rolling Stone was perhaps Zeppelin's harshest critic when they were an active, record-making band. I remember picking up the Rolling Stone all-time record guide and being stunned to find that they gave no Zeppelin record more than two stars ...

2. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Actually, Page was trying to recruit Terry Reid and he ended up recommending Plant.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Yesterday, someone gave me as a present the Zep box set. It is really great, and I can't stop playing it.

Stairway to Heaven, All of My Love, Whole Lotta Love, Black Dog, Communication Breakdown, Dazed and Confused, Rock and Roll, Kashmir and Ramble On are my favourite Zep tracks.

What are everybody else's favourite tracks of Zep?

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I remember somebody - might have been Charles M. Young - writing a savage review of In Through The Out Door back in RS's, We Hate Zeppelin decade. (It's certainly not their best album, but it's better than 97.5% of the shit they go crazy about in the review pages of that mag these days.)

Last year RS went all brown bunny on Zep with a pointless cover story that trod all over the same ground any longtime fan was already familiar with. But there was a sidebar that mentioned the mag's hostility towards the band in the old days.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

To me, In Through the Out Door is a seriously underrated or undervalued album. Tremendous tracks all the way through.

Favorite Zeppelin tracks: that's tough; but if I if I have to choose 3, I'd go:

No Quarter
    In the Evening
    Tangerine

(and In the Light as first alternate)

if they tour, I will come. (fun with quote function: you may begin).

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The song, indeed, remains the same.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Absolutely corect, and a fact I should have known.

I hang my head in shame.

As for favorite songs . . . . I tend to prefer the ones you don't hear on the radio.

Achilles Last Stand
    Ten Years Gone
    Dancing Days

Easier to name the ones I think suck.

Sick Again (WHY was that on the setlist for all late 70s shows?)
    Hat's Off to Roy Harper
    The Lemon Song
    Tea For One
    Heard they're gonna play For Your Life at the reunion show. There's a reason they didn't play it before.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ten Years Gone
    I'm Gonna Crawl
    That's the Way (which is criminally NOT on the box set)
    Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
    The Lemon Song

I'd better stop before I mention 100 of them ...

I think what separates Zeppelin from other bands is that every member of the band was a virtuoso, at least in the argument as the best-ever at his "instrument." Plant clearly hasn't lost his voice over the years, and Page can still play (listen to the live album he did a few years ago with the Black Crowes). I think they'll still be good live.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Read the article last night. It quotes all four who will be at the reunion gig (Jason Bonham on drums) and it talked more about them having a secret rehearsal to see how it would go and it was really good, yada yada yada.

They admit to the lackluster reunion efforts of the past (Live Aid and the Atlantic 40th anniversary shows). John Paul Jones suddenly has no hard feelings about the snub that Page and Plant did to him in the past decade.

The talk of a tour is brought up, of course, but I think the Dec. 10 show will play a role. Plant is also touring with Krauss and he apparently has a new solo album to work on in 2008.

Methinks that stadium tour of big cities in the summer would suffice.

RS senior writer David Fricke is the writer of this RS story and admits within the story that he wrote an essay for one of the newly released DVDs sets.

I'm sure this RS will be on newsstands soon. It's not a must-have, but if you're a Zep fan, it's not too bad of a story.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

When the Levee Breaks is my all-time favorite Zeppelin song, but I haven't been exposed to a tremendous amount of Zeppelin, either.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Page and Jason Bonham played togther on the Outrider tour in '98, saw them at the old Ritz in NYC. Good show, and no one threw lemons.

Draft saved Draft deleted