1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Relocation not paid?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jor El, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Jor El

Jor El Guest

Hi, I joined up not too long ago with the anticipation of getting some opinions.

I've been offered a job at my hometown paper, which is around 2,000 miles from where I currently am located. The paper is offering about a grand more than I'm making now, but they're refusing any kind of relocation.

Looking at Uhaul prices, I'm guessing it'll take close to $3,000 to move. If I can't sell my house within the next three weeks (they want me there by April 9), I'll have to take out a loan just to pay for the move.

Would it be unrealistic to turn it down simply because I don't want to go into more debt (I already have a few credit cards and two car payments for myself and the wife)?

Edit to add: If you're curious, I was offered a job as a cops reporter.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

yeah, i'd tell the new place to stick it.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't make that move for a grand. Maybe if you wanted to get back home or something it's worth it to you.

I would twist whatever you can out of the hometown rag before you give up. Maybe they can't do relocation but they can do some kind of bonus or something.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Even though you have been raised as a mortal, you are not one of them.

Essentially, the new paper wants you to pay $2,000 for the privilege of working there. Unless you're currently working at some JRC hellhole or some other dungeon of death, I'd pass it by.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

yeah dude. you're getting screwed. is this a promotion? a gig you'd prefer over your current job. Cause it sounds like a lateral move at best. Only if there are more opportunities with this new gig, that's the only way I'd make that move.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

one more thing: they're obviously squeezing you. if they can't cough up the moving expenses, how strong of an operation can they be? they'll screw you at every turn. don't bluff 'em. tell 'em straight up that no moving expenses means no you.

7. I personally don't get why any company wouldn't pay relocation. It can be written off as a business expense, so most of it will come back to them anyway. Greedy fuckers. :mad:

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree with the others. If you really want the job but can't afford to do it at the price they are offering, very politely tell them that the offer does not work for you, but thanks for the offer.

Sometimes turning down the job can get you the offer you want. If not, hopefully you find something better.

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I paid for my own move across the country just so I could work at a paper "closer" home. It was (sort of) a promotion, but not much of one.

I've since moved on (probably worth a post on "shortest stint thread"), but I'm still regretting the move financially.

I probably could have stayed put and got the job I have now and saved myself one move.

But, I'm older, wiser and more experienced. But was it worth the $3,500? Probably not.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And from our good friends at the FBI is this advice...

"NEVER pay upfront for any job opportunity (they’re supposed to be paying you!) and never forward, transfer, or wire money to a prospective employer." :D

And not to make too much light of your situation, but I'm in agreement with everyone else about how you should proceed.

11. JE, I'm sure there's a temptation to be close to home ... especially if you have kids ... but don't sell yourself short.

If you do change your mind, call them back and tell them you just can't afford it.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

No. No, no, no, no. Paying relocation is a cost of doing business. If they're not willing to pay the costs of doing business, you're taking a big risk in going there. Those are the kind of places that "lose" your expense reports for three or four weeks.

There would have to be some pretty compelling personal reasons to get me to move without relocation being covered.

Draft saved Draft deleted