1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Relocation for a job -- seeking advice/guidance

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm coming up on a job interview in a couple weeks. One that's about a couple hours away from where I live now. If I get this position, it in all likelihood means, my family and I will have to move.

When I was applying for a new position with my current employer, relocation was discussed and I knew what was available. This time, though, it's a new company and a new city.

Should the interview (or subsequent interviews) go as I hope, relocation will I'm sure come up. So, I come here seeking advice on what I should ask for in terms of relocation assistance. While I'm not applying for a journalism job, relocating is relocating. For those of you who have negotiated relocation, what do you recommend? What works and what doesn't?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Doesn't count your chickens before they hatch. You just have an interview. You don't have a job offer yet.

If they make an offer, then ask for relocation assistance. The worst that can happen is they say no. At best, they pay for your move.

3. It's been my experience that there isn't a whole lot in the budget for relocation expenses anymore. I have been offered a few jobs in the journalism industry over the past few years, and none f them relocate. In fact, I am convinced that some shops don't even look at certain candidates if they have to relocate, rather they look at people who are more local. In a lot of phone interviews, it's one of the first questions I am asked.

But, as many have said, it doesn't hurt anything to ask, especially once an offer is made, since at that point they already know they want you.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Right. If they don't bring it up, you shouldn't either, has been my experience. Once you have an offer in hand -- and before you accept -- bring it up then

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Or if they won't pay for a move 100%, see if they'll give you X-amount of dollars to help you out with it.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

i agree with all of the above. Don't bring it up until after you have a job offer. And some places put you on the books a couple of weeks early to help with the move.
    You can always negotiate relocation, and even if it's just a couple of hundred, it's something.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Thanks everyone. Much like salary, I won't be the one to instigate the discussion.

8. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

But do your homework: Price out what it would cost to move so you have a figure in mind should it come up. Maybe you don't want to price it out until after an interview, but don't go into negotiations blind.

That said, if they don't pay for relocation you can take it on your tax return.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Or ask to have them put out on the payroll early before you actually start working for them. But get the job first, and worry about this stuff later.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

this only is valid advice if the relocation package isn't important. like he said, relocation is relocation. if it's important to you, then ask about it. if they're going to get pissed off and not offer you just because you asked, that says something about this place.

11. beanpole

beanpole Member

Relocation is one of the few items that is negotiable. I wouldn't go to any job that doesn't offer some sort of package. At my shop, we never volunteer relocation, but I'm authorized to give $1000-1500 for someone moving a couple hundred miles, and up to one month's salary to someone moving across the country.

Draft saved Draft deleted