1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religulous v. The King of Kong

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Oct 8, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I onlly beat Sonic the Hedgehog and Final Fantasy VII. I wasn't committed enough to anything else.

2. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Kinda bootleg, but enjoy:

http://www.addictinggames.com/burgertime.html

3. pallister

pallister Guest

If the game didn't have a game clock in it, it usually didn't keep my interest. Except for Ladybug.

4. Try this one.

But here's a warning, prepare to spend a lot of time on this site. It. Is. Awesome.

http://www.virtualnes.com/

5. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

King of Kong is a great, great documentary.

I want to see Religulous, but I'm not going to see it in a theater.

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

Meat --

You're right, I was too hurtful there, absolutely and I apologize. I was kind of fired up after seeing Religulous, which spends a lot of time talking to crazy Christans and crazy Muslims who seem to want End Times to come upon us, which, as the father of two young children who wants them to live happy and wonderful lives, pissed me off. I think religion is like just about everything else -- in moderation, it's not a problem for anybody. In its extremes, it's scary as hell.

I stand by my belief, however, that Jonah and Noah and the rest of that stuff are parables, written to explain a point of view, and not literal fact. And if you or anybody else believes somebody can live inside a fish, then I'd like to assert my right to believe that's crazy talk.

The weird thing is, my dad was a Baptist Reverend before I was born -- like, had a church and wore the collar and the whole bit -- and then right around my arrival, some kind of schism happened, and he left the church and we had the most irreligious upbringing possible. No mention of God, no grace at the table, no learning of any kind. (It's my biggest hole in Jeopardy!) I've never had the balls to ask him what happened, because I'm scared of the answer. But that's just to help explain where I'm coming from a little bit.

Another game in the movie is Centipede, which I liked pretty well. But really I didn't come into my gaming own until the Commodore 64 appeared. We pretty much jumped from an Atari 2600 -- Asteroids, mostly -- to it. I finished BC's Quest for Tires, Mission Impossible ("Stay awhile... Stay forever!"), and the Ultima series up to VI.

Then I kissed a girl and it was all over for me.

The King of Kong plays like one of those Christopher Guest movies. Like Arnold says, Billy Mitchell, one of the main characters, would come off as too over-the-top in a fake movie. In this, he's a revelation.

Both movies, Religulous and The King of Kong, make you realize that there are some really twisted people out there, and if you give them a stick to chase, they're gone over the horizon.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

So has anyone seen the Video Games Live tour?

http://www.videogameslive.com/index.php?s=dates

Classic video game music played by an orchestra, with a light show and stuff to match. Sounds like there are some people here who would be interested.

I'll also give some love to Zaxxon, which I played quite a bit on the green-phosphor screen on the old family Apple II-Plus.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jones,

It's like the Artie Lange joke says,

"I used to play video games and then I discovered pussy."

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The Senator from Arkansas is frightening, in particular.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Most... as in 50.1 percent?

I might agree with that.

12. Simon_Cowbell

The idea of a wondrous passage from this coil to the afterworld, based on man-written books filled with utter fiction (the people who wrote the bible were at least 10 years from being witnesses, for Christ sake), will bring the end of the world.

It is a major reason that Palin must be kept out of the White House. The idea of fancying yourself as a Christ-like figure, able to bring about the End of Days, is stupefying.

Draft saved Draft deleted