1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religulous v. The King of Kong

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hmmm, I have to figure out where to start. OK, fine, veggies before brownies.

You didn't say you were "against organized religion." You said the movie shows how 84 percent of people will bring down the 16 percent "who don't believe in fairytales." There's a difference between the two the size of goatse's moneymaker. It's needlessly disdainful of a large group of people who happen to believe that God is more than the fancied dream of a madman. Disagree with it; that's your right. But the way you drew the distinction would be no less intolerant and hurtful than if a hardcore fundamentalist talked about the 84 percent of people being brought down by the 16 percent of unrepentant sinners destined for an eternity of hellfire and damnation.

Your intolerance of early 80's single-screen video games is pretty depressing too. Q-Bert RULED. The cursing, the cone nose, the squishing noise it makes when it jumps, the pretty colors against the black screen in the dark arcade with the Men Without Hats on the sound system and the sensory overload and the burning eyes and ... fuck you, it ruled.

Also, everyone knows the hardest game was Robotron.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

OK, I have no qualms with the Q-Man, but what the hell was the point of that game?

3. I like how this thread has continued the religion/video game theme.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hell, what was the point of any of those games? Turn cubes into colors, eat dots, shoot sqiggly lines at other squiggly lines, sit on birds' heads? Final Fantasy, it wasn't.

Also, a clarification. The hardest game REALLY was Baby Pac-Man, the video-pinball combo game. Shitty video game version was insanely hard; the ghosts zero in on you in five seconds, and the pinball part was boring.

5. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

This thread has me thinking about Burger Time and how disappointing the end of that game was.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Mmmmmm, Burger Time.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I loved BT, but have no memory of the end. Was there some kind of kill screen where Kong comes and eats the burger or something?

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I think a finger was found in it, you were sued and subsequently became a homeless drunk. But I could be mistaken.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I don't think it's possible to reach the end of BurgerTime. It, too, is harder than Donkey Kong. But give credit to the programmers, they called the whole "egg on burger" thing years before it hit the mainstream. Suck it, Red Robin!

10. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I'm pretty sure you just reached the last level, and if you beat it, the damn thing started over again with no congratulatory screen. Felt like the kid from A Christmas Story and the decoder ring. Make sure to drink your Ovaltine? Son of a bitch!

11. pallister

pallister Guest

To be honest, I was never good enough to get to the end of any video game.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

To this day, I won't put pepper on my burger. Too scary.

Draft saved Draft deleted