1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religulous v. The King of Kong

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

So, tonight I watched two documentaries, because I love documentaries and because I needed a recharge, and I find watching a good non-fiction film inspirational.

At their essence, the movies are surprisingly similar. ("Surprisingly" because Religulous is Bill Maher's rail against religion and its worst extremes; The King of Kong is about two guys battling for the world record in Donkey Kong.) Both are thoughtful, sometimes painful, sometimes funny, classic tales of good and evil, right and wrong. I enjoyed them both.

But as far as our work and what we do for a living -- The King of Kong demonstrates every facet of good journalism. It's really close to perfect. Bill Maher spends a lot of time telling us what we're supposed to be thinking -- he doesn't trust us to get that the people who visit Holy Land in Florida or the Creation Museum are a bunch of tongue-speaking freaks. Seth Gordon, who directed The King of Kong -- through his interviewing, his editing, his pacing, even his choice of songs -- paints a much fuller portrait of his subjects, more satisfying, more entertaining, more involving. It's what we should all be after when we sit down to write: It's a great story.

A buddy I watched it with said that it wasn't just his favorite documentary of all time. He said it might go down as his favorite movie of all time.

All to say, if you're feeling in a slump or in need of a creative boost or just want to watch a good movie -- a really, really good movie -- watch The King of Kong.

Even better, watch it after Religulous. It'll help cheer you up after you come to understand that 84 percent of people are going to destroy even the 16 percent of us who don't believe in fairytales.

2. King of Kong is tremendous.

Haven't seen Religulous.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm not putting a cent into Maher's pocket, but I will check out the other one on your recommendation. Sounds pretty cool.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

King of Kong added bonus: Zack Hample's in it. (Hi, BYH!)

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

Wait, is he really?

6. TheSportsPredictor

Yes, barely, one scene he is just barely on screen for a glimpse, but in another I think he has a line.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

Isn't he on Leno tonight? [cross-thread]

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

Hmmm, missed him... Although he does fit in that world -- obsessives who pursue greatness in obscure fields of endeavour. I'm a sucker for that.

9. TheSportsPredictor

SOMEONE TEXT BYH! HE'S NOWHERE TO BE FOUND! (Must be off watching Leno.)

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

:-\

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

Oh.

He's here.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

No fan of elitism, Meat?

Draft saved Draft deleted