1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious make up of the country displayed in map form

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ondeadline, Jan 18, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

JR, a great, great many of your Presbyterian Scots-Irish cousins who comprise the majority of the South's white people (or at least used to) defected to the Baptist church shortly after coming to the USA.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

As I have called the bloodbath in the middle for the past 7 years, 9 months and three weeks: The Idiot Swath

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, that was stupid, Simon.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I thought it was kind of funny.

So what are those grey "other" spots? Snake handlers? Scientologists?

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

What? Damn. I haven't seen a Presbyterian church with more than eight cars in the parking lot on Sundays in 10 years.

6. writing irish

They still have quite a few in Scotland and in the Stolen Six.

Note: I'm not anti-Presbyterian. I do object to the partition of Ulster, but I'm not bigoted against Presbyterianism.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

In most Ontario towns, if there are three churches, they will likely be: Roman Catholic, United Church of Canada and Presbyterian--since most of this part of the country was founded by Scots.

My great grandfather had a feud with the United Church minister and hauled his family across the street to join the Presbyterians.

This is why in Ancaster, Ontario both cemeteries are full of my ancestors.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It's who have found the light and follow Horny and BBJ.

9. writing irish

Sounds like my family. About 1/3 of the people who bear my name are Catholic, 1/3 Presbyterian, 1/3 Anglican. And most of them are in Ulster. It's a mess. Makes me glad I'm over here.

What did great-grandaddy feud with the rector about? Do you know?

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If you listen to some Baptists, you just answered your own question

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Just a thought, and it may be selective, so clarify with your thoughts:

A lot of posts I've read from people disenchanted with religion claim they were once churchgoers but drifted away and some that said that talked about being in mainstream but some of the older protestant denominations. While the map may answer why you were this denomination or that denomination (obviously where you live would reveal a lot about it), most of those denominations are losing membership and a reason given by church experts is a dead religion....irrelevant sermons, meaningless ritual. Meanwhile, the so-called right-wing conservative evangelical churches continue to show growth. So I ask, did you leave because of a "dead religion?"

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Wow, there's a lot of Catholics and Baptists in this country. All of that talk about Evangelical Christians supporting Huck in Iowa are actually conservative Catholics in Western Iowa.

I thought there were a lot more Lutherans here in Iowa. Man, that sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted