1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious controversy, Canadian version

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 8, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No love for Iggie? :)

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I must admit that I have been indulging in the Stampede a little more than I probably should so I may be out of sync with this:

The controversies stirred unprecedented numbers of hits and commentary on the Star's political websites this week and a media-wide flurry of outrage, jokes and instant analysis.

So a Star reporter pimps their political website and Stampede or not, I still don't see the media flurry.

I am not a big Harper fan but he gets a bum rap (some of which is self induced). People are still looking for the hidden agenda that is not there and let themselves be driven into a frenzy over it.

The party is no more littered with homophobes or rednecks than any other political party. IIRC many Liberal MP were not exactly thrilled with the same sex marriage vote either.

I also don't get the love for Count Dracula Michael Ignatieff. To me it plays to the never ending Liberal Fanbois quest to find the next PET.

editted to add: Diane is my MP and as far as I can tell she is a quality person and is very, very smart. I understand the need to not have cabinet to Calgary-centric but she continues to get a raw deal from the PM IMO.

3. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Don't worry, Chet. A newspaper is only credible if JR says it is. Just wait until he starts calling your credibility into question.

I don't believe the PM needed to respond to this horseshit, but he did. And he's right. The media ran with a story without getting its proof.

Journalism 101.

And it's fucking shameful.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2009/07/10/harper-communion.html?ref=rss#socialcomments

4. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

You haven't been far enough into Stampede. It hasn't even registered a fart out here.

We're more concerned with him being late for the photo shoot at the G8.

And to confront him about the funeral shenanigans at the Summit? Please ... what a load of crap.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am not a conspiracy theorist guy but I can imagine the screaming there would be south of the border if a company like Power Corp had the kind of relationships with the White House that they have had with the PMO over the years.

6. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Wow. Anyone who reported on this had better eat a generous portion of humble pie and do a full story on how they jumped to conclusions because they were too busy salivating at the thought of taking another jab at the PM.
    Unfortunately, the best this will get is a tiny spot on an inside page and a slap on somebody's wrist.

7. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

That's just it, G. Everybody is so concerned with bringing someone down and concentrating on the insignificant matters that we're missing out on truth, information and exploration.

It's the fucking G8 Summit this week and this is news? My God, do we ever need a check on our priorities.

How about bailouts, oil prices, recessions and financial crises?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And a story is only newsworthy if you deem it so.

I (and Buck) were trying to figure out why you categorically dismissed this out of hand as a news story.

If you think that was an attack on your credibility, that's your problem.

9. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Subscribe to People and US Weekly, if you like.

I'll prefer to read news.

And if you want a definition on that, I suggest you to subscribe to my newsletter: www.kissmyass.com

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Awesome.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You back up your argument with a quote from the editor of Calgary Weekly Shopper Metro Calgary and you're telling me what to read?

That's funny on so many levels.

And I'll stack my news reading habits up against yours any day.

And is this where you send me the "go fuck yourself" PM? Next one would give you a hat trick.

Such a class act.

12. EE94

EE94 Guest

Getting back to the main thrust, this was completely a non-story

That it has the attention that it does just shows the lack of perspective in too many newsrooms these days

It was an easy story to write, so someone did.

Draft saved Draft deleted