1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious controversy, Canadian version

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

So what is the benchmark?

http://www.thestar.com/

Looks like quite a bit of the front-page content is of dubious newsworthiness.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I don't know, but I can tell you this didn't reach it.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Which editor at which newspaper. Link, please

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's not important news, but it's news.

It's the same as Trudeau saying Fuddle Duddle in the House or Joe Clark losing his luggage or Bob Stanfield screwing up the football photo op

It was at a fucking public event and the PM acted like a fucking hick from Podunk, Ontario.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

My knowledge of Catholicism is spotty and dated, as it's been quite a while since I've been a mass regular. But my understanding is that non-Catholics cannot take communion, even if they're of a Protestant, Orthodox or non-denominational strain. So he never should have gone up there in the first place. But I would think in the eyes of Catholics, better he not eat the wafer than eat it as a non-Catholic, since they take the bread as made literal by way of transubstantiation the body of Christ, whereas most other churches consider it merely symbolic.

Definitely newsworthy. Not A1 and top-of-the-hour stuff, but important all the same.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I believe this is the correct interpretation. [/grew up Catholic for 19 years]

7. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

http://twitter.com/Darren_Krause/status/2536685407

I'll now await your rant about how insignificant the Metro rags are.

8. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Good Lord, it's not like you never miss out on an opportunity to bitch about the PM. But on this count? Please. It couldn't be more insignificant.

But go ahead and bloat yourself up over it.

9. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Odd how a lot of the commenters on this piece agree, too. Maybe newspapers really are out of touch with their readers after all.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/holy-post/archive/2009/07/08/wafergate-purportedly-pocketed-host-embroils-harper-in-religious-scandal.aspx

I actually like this part of the 'story':

Mr. MacCarthy said Mr. Harper likely should have been briefed that non-Catholics are not supposed to take Communion. He said at most funeral and wedding masses, when there will be a large number of non-Catholics in attendance, a priest tell the guests that only Catholics can take a Communion wafer but others can receive a blessing.

He also said most Protestant services allow all baptized Christians to take part in communion, which may have led to Mr. Harper’s confusion.

Mr. Kinsella, a Catholic, actually lauds the Prime Minister for taking Communion, saying it is a show of solidarity.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, but who the fuck is Darren Krause? I get nothing on Google or Google News.

Who is this person?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

For the love of Tebow, get over it.

I'm astonished that as a former journalist, you don't find this story at least marginally newsworthy

I'm not bloating or gloating. The religious angle is secondary to the fact that he and his people were woefully ignorant about what's involved in taking communion in a Catholic church.

Hicks from Bumfuck. .

Oh, and I didn't realise the National Post was still publishing

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Oh, come on. Nowhere near "Fuddle Duddle." Not a good comparison at all. Of course, gutless fuck that he was, Trudeau wouldn't admit that he had actually told a fellow MP to fuck off while they were in the House of Commons.

And Stanfield got screwed by the photographer and by CP. No one cared that he had easily caught a number of throws prior to the one he muffed. Liberal agendas prevailed that day, didn't they?

This bullshit is just more grasping at straws. I'm not saying the prime minister doesn't deserve to be criticized, but let's try to find something that's worthy of criticism, shall we? I'm actually shocked no one here has commented on the demotion of Diane Ablonczy for having the temerity to approve and personally hand over federal money to Pride Week organizers in Toronto......now that's a goddamned news story.

Draft saved Draft deleted