1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious controversy, Canadian version

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 8, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Slow day in the hockey world up here so other things get shoved to centre stage

The controversy is whether our PM, who received a sacramental communion wafer recently at Roméo LeBlanc's Roman Catholic funeral mass, pocketed it instead of consuming it.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/662767

Given that Harper is a Protestant, why would he accept it in the first place?

LeBlanc was a former Governor General so this funeral was a quasi state function.

Maybe he was going to take it home and have it with his evening tea.

But I love this comment from "Zinc" at the bottom of the article. He/she would feel right at home with Zag, Yankee & OT over at the Politics board.

This is a perfect example of the Star trying to make a big deal out of nothing. If the PM did the exact same thing but had a Liberal label over his head this would have been a completely different story.

Canadian Liberals=US Communists. :)

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I thought all Canadians were Godless.

3. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

A. His handlers should have prepped him better.
    B. Not a story.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I always wondered how the wafers were made.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A. You're right
    B. You're wrong.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Maybe he thought he might be hungry later.

Nothing hits the spot like the body of Christ.

7. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

A. I know.
    B. No, I'm not.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

[​IMG]

Canadian Fight!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

AMac, why isn't it a story?

I'm sort of a Presbyterian, have been to Catholic services and have never participated in communion. Wouldn't have ever thought of taking the wafer.

Ita huge social faux pas and just confirms that Harper wiill always be just a suburban hick in a cardigan.

It was at the funeral of the former Governor General of Canada for heaven's sakes.

10. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I really don't care if it was at his Aunt Fannie's funeral.

We've had the discussion on this very board before -- whether to take communion when you're not a Catholic.

It's nothing more than a social gaffe and to assassinate the man for this misstep is ridiculous and banal.

Remember how we've prided ourselves on the ability to separate church and state? How we've snickered because the righties down there are such staunch Christians and can't get that out of the way of their policy?

Excoriating our Prime Minister in the media for this is using religion as a matter of convenience.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Probably waiting until he could get some ranch dressing.

It's definitely a story. Doesn't mean the guy should be impeached, but it's definitely a newsworthy fumble.
    Reporting on something is not assassination.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I've never been part of a discussion about that.

It's a social gaffe that you'd excuse your sixteen year old from making.

You don't expect it from the Prime Minister.

He got caught sticking the wafer in his pocket. That's right out of kindergarten.

And no one is "excoriating our Prime Minister"

Your reaction to the reaction is way overblown.

Draft saved Draft deleted