1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion at work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Mar 4, 2009.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I defer to your expertise on the matter.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

By law, it's not harassment unless it crosses into the level of a hostile work environment.

Disparagement != severe insults or threats.

From Findlaw:

"The harassment must be severe or pervasive in order to constitute discrimination under a hostile work environment theory. Thus, a simple disagreement over religious principles would probably not constitute unlawful harassment. Severe insults or threats, or continuing words and actions meant to harass or intimidate an employee on the basis of religion, however, may cross the line of lawful conduct. The employer is culpable if it knew or should have known of the illegal harassment. "

But I imagine most companies would have policies forbidding any sort of disparagement just so they don't test the line.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Or maybe I don't.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bottom line: It's not harassment to make fun of a certain religion at work. But it becomes harassment if someone objects to people making fun of a certain religion at work.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

For the record:
    None of you had a problems with:
    This is wrong on so many levels...

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You should probably read your company handbook.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Is there a legal difference between making fun of the Pope's hat and debating the merits of a particular tenet of Catholicism? Serious question.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Exactly. Because "hostile" is certainly in the eye of a beholder.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Based on this, and the word "bashing" and the fact he objected, I'm fairly comfortable I'm right.

Put it this way: The company should be erring on the side of prudence here.

10. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Just some local color for you there...

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. The pope's hat is protected as free speech because it's goofy-looking.

Seriously, I have seen workplace lawsuits go forward for some pretty silly reasons. If someone is offended or is likely to be offended or looks out of sorts, just stop.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Just like it's not harassment to ask out a woman at work, unless you are ugly and way out of your league.

Draft saved Draft deleted