1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion at work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Tell me if I'm in the wrong here.

I'm at the office working on a few stories. We have a pretty lax work environment here, and my boss regularly makes fun of our one Republican on staff. No topic is off limits, and I've heard my co-workers talking about everything from having feet hanging out of them in childbirth to having sex while high. Whatever, usually I just put my headphones on and try to get my work done.

Today they were going on and on about Catholicism. I'm Catholic. I asked them to please stop talking about it because they were bashing my religion and I didn't need to hear that at work. The retort: "Are you fucking serious?"

I said yeah, this is a workplace environment and I don't have to listen to religious discussions here. Do that on your own time. Then the woman stormed off in a huff.

Seriously. I'm well within my rights here, right?

(Mods, if this should go in Anything Goes, I apologize.)

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Bucknutty: You were well within your rights if they were bashing your religion.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I think you were well within your rights, and if you were polite in your request to stop, their response was over the line.

Newsrooms can be pretty coarse places, and I'm sure I've offended someone at some point. If asked to watch my language or whatever, there's really no other appropriate response except to comply.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You certainly have the right to express your objections, just like they have the right to criticize your religion.

You can argue whether it's polite or not, I suppose, but I wouldn't get too worked up over rational criticisms that don't qualify as harassment.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

At work? No, they don't have the right to criticize someone's religion. That's harassment. Most places have a policy against it, actually.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Pretty simple: no religion, no politics at work, it can only cause problems.

We have a couple of hard-core Repubes/Bush backers. On election night, my boss quietly mentioned to a few of us "No celebrating, no political bullshit as the election numbers come in. Just do you job and enjoy it in silence."

7. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Interesting subject.

I know our bosses are pretty tolerant of many beliefs, and I know for me, I've never had a problem.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

No, actually, as Americans we have the right to practice religion and the right to have conversations about religion.

And certainly Bucknutty has the right to object to such a conversation.

9. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

That's exactly what I think.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

/thread

11. PatrickCarney

PatrickCarney New Member

I would have been offended and spoken up if my Catholic faith was bashed at work.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

FDP, you're 100 percent wrong on this.

Having a WORKPLACE discussion that disparages somebody's religion is not allowed if one person objects or is uncomfortable about it. It IS harassment. It is NOT protected by the First Amendment or anything else.

It's one thing on a street corner or a bar; it's another in a workplace. It is prohibited. You can't do it any more than you would criticize somebody's race. You can debate me on this, but in a legal/civil sense, it's not debatable.

We have had four training programs about this kind of thing in the past few years, and unless my multinational, multibillion-dollar company is making things up -- which I doubt -- people are protected from hearing this if they don't want to.

Draft saved Draft deleted