1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reliever Dan Naulty on suicide and steroids

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, Dec 23, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Duh, depression and drug abuse are so '90s. This is the steroid era, baby, steroids sell.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Geez - what has happend to the news business where eveyone is so quickly to cut news organizations slack for cutting corners.

Obvioulsy the News wanted to uninformed to believe that Naulty was an important part of World Series team. It seems like an important fact to me that Naulty was not on post season roster.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

In the story, it said he appeared in 33 games. And there was no mention of him appearing in a playoff game.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I guess Boom didn't read this line:

After six weeks of 1999 spring training, I had made the team. Although it was in a minor role, I was on the team.

Nowhere does this piece imply that Naulty was anything other than a fringe player, which has absolutely nothing to do with the story, anyway.

5. Boom_70

And I guess spit did not read the first paragraph of the whole story that places Naulty in the dugout when World Series ended.

Yankees closer Mariano Rivera got Atlanta Braves designated hitter Keith Lockhart to pop up to left field for the final out of the 1999 World Series - Oct. 27 - giving the Bombers a four-game sweep of the Braves and their third title in four years under manager Joe Torre. Reliever Dan Naulty appeared in 33 games for the Yankees that season and was in the dugout when the Yankees clinched.

For anyone who did not know any better you would have thought Naulty was on World Series Roster.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, not really, boom, because a reliever on the roster would not be sitting in the dugout, he'd be sitting in the bullpen.
    Non-roster players are allowed in the dugout.

Besides, it is of no consequence to the story. You're the only one who cares whether Dan Naulty was on the WS roster or not.

7. Boom_70

That's BS and you know it. The story is about Naulty being depressed after World Series. Do you think a player who got left off post season roster is going to feel a tad empty while his teamates who actually played in the series celebrate.

The News clearly wanted to make this a bigger story than it was.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nope. Totally inconsequential.

9. Boom_70

Headline from story:

"Reliever Dan Naulty From 1999 World SeriesTeam Spills Ugly Truth On Steroids"

pssst- by the way he was not on the World Series Roster.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why don't you post your concerns in the comments section of the article? Seems Dan Naulty himself has chimed in ...

dan naulty Dec 23, 2007 11:41:28 AM Report Offensive Post
    I would like to respond to a couple of comments made. First of all thanks for all the comments, positive or negative. One thing I would like to point out is my intention. My purpose for writing this story was to raise awareness about the use of steroids and bad decisions do harm others, that's it. Second, if a book were to ever come of this story all proceeds will be given to a non-profit organization, such as the Taylor Hooton Foundation. This organization gives its time to educating people on the use of steroids--check out their site, www.taylorhootonfoundation.org. I appreciate all the feedback, and hope this story will touch a life! If you have questions post them and I will try and respond. Blessings, Dan

11. Boom_70

Sorry I have bad habbit of uisng my inferential thinking skills when I read. I know its a strange trait but my mind just does not accept things I read at face value. I blame Sister Theophane -my 3rd grade reading teacher. I can still hear her voice in my head.

12. Exactly, oh significant other of the Roster God.

Draft saved Draft deleted