1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reliever Dan Naulty on suicide and steroids

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, Dec 23, 2007.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Extraordinary story of a steroid user. You wonder how many others feel or felt like this:

The irony of this story shows what I thought was going to be a great life of fame and fortune turned into the destruction of other lives, and for me, a living hell - one filled with depression, anger, unhappiness, suicidal thoughts and God.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/12/23/2007-12-23_reliever_dan_naulty_from_1999_world_seri-2.html?page=0

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Interesting yes - Extraordinary no. How come there was not mention of the fact that Naulty was not on Yankee World Series roster. Perhaps that was the source of his depression.

Look at Naulty's regular season numbers. He was the Yankees inning burner. Of his 33 appearances 28 resulted in Yankee loses. Most of time he came in, The Yankees were losing.

What a joke and diservice to readers. Does the News really think that no one would remember that Naulty was not on post season roster. Talk about lack of perspective.

3. This seems to be more than a steroids story to me.
    Naulty, like Caminiti before him, seems to have substance issues that go across the board.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Judging by what we've read about steriod usage, players are described as one of two ways: Troubled souls, or have an agenda (book to sell)

Caminiti
    Canseco
    Naulty

or "one time users" who took the stuff to rehab an injury:

Petite
    Brian Roberts
    Fernando Vina
    Gary Bennett

Out of the thousands of players over the past couple decades, nobody was just consistently using it to be a better player.

5. Boom_70

Judging by his record steroids clearly did not help Naulty.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Actually, they did. He gained 50 pounds and added 10+ mph to his fastball. It still wasn't enough.

7. Boom_70

If Naulty had gotten a win or save in World Series I wonder if he would have been depressed. In reality Naulty was about 1 step above the bullpen catcher in his importance to the Yankees.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It's a four part series. There's plenty of time and space for him to say he wasn't on the roster.

And, quite honestly, other than you and the die hard idiots, who is going to remember Naulty was not the post season roster?

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Where does it say it's a four part series?

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Nevermind. I misread.

11. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

I'm wondering why you would feel it important to judge a person on what he/she should be depressed about?

12. OK, I read it again....why is this a story about steroids and not a story about depression and drug abuse?

Draft saved Draft deleted