1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Relegation: Can it/would it work?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 8, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

A thought here, GB. Are there any Second Division clubs that, if they were promoted, would be hard-pressed to provide the facilities of a Premier League franchise?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Lots. The idea is to stay in the EPL, gather up the TV money, and improve facilities on the fly. They don't build new stadia (though some have) so much as clubs improve existing facilities gradually by building new "stands", etc., since most English stadiums are conducive to that.

Portsmouth is a good example. Fratton Park is, by most accounts, a dump. But if Portsmouth can stay up, it can renovate or rebuild (a super rich Russian owner doesn't hurt either). Portsmouth's rival Southampton did that in the 90s -- but they eventually dropped anyway.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I love the Football Grounds Guide. I could spend hours searching for which grounds are dangerous to wear visiting colors, and the totally unique, stark facilities of some of the lower-division clubs.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That's a great resource there shottie. I'm hopeful to make it to an EPL match in the next few years. I'll be sure to keep that as a bookmark. Thanks.

5. KP

KP Active Member

Heading to Accrington Stanley to watch your team play? Here's what you can expect...

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bubbler, if Leeds United is your favorite team, you better sign up at myfootballclub.co.uk ASAP. That's the club rumored to be targeted for takeover. You could be a part-owner of it.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The MLS should do something like this with the USL, it would help both leagues. And I wouldn't mind seeing it in Major League Baseball or the NBA (no more tanking and looking to the future while charging fans the same amount for tickets.) It would also make the second half of the NBA that much more exciting.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I can honestly say looking at the teams in the league this season, at least half of them would have the facilities to be a Premier League team.

Those I would say are would be: Charlton, Coventry City, Ipswich Town, Leicester City, Norwich City, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton, Watford, West Bromwich Albion and Wolves.

Barnsley and Queens Park Rangers are also former Premier League teams.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

QPR, my first EPL crush.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Probably beacuse of the hooped uniforms......

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Bring back Gary MacAlister!

Draft saved Draft deleted