1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Relegation: Can it/would it work?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good point, Bubbler. And how I think it should work here is that all contracts, let's say starting in 2010, cannot have relegation clauses. You want to play in the big leagues, boy, you better produce like a big-leaguer ...

That's the nut-cracker pressure that would drive the players every day.

2. Songbird

Vermont Frost Heaves!

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've thought the same thing, Xan. It would be great, but too many mountains would have to be moved. Somebody would throw up the stop sign somewhere along the way.

4. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Not only affiliation, but also you have the issue of market size where clearly the major leagues have generally more desireable markets. You'd have a serious problem too if say the Yankees got relegated and Ottawa AAA was promoted for example.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I absolutely love the idea, but have grown convinced it couldn't work for one simple issue: the country is too big, making travel an insurmountable issue.

Virtually every minor league system in North America is broken up into regions to minimize the travel. A road trip for the single-A Eugene Emeralds may take them to Salem, Portland, Tri-Cities and Spokane. If you change that to Buffalo, Oklahoma City, New Orleans and Tucson the team won't survive.

Countries with relegation systems are small enough to make it work.

I could see it done on a very small scale, like the MLS and USL. Beyond that I just don't see it.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bingo. The elephant in the room, before any of the other logistical questions can get answered.

7. Songbird

But Steinbrenner would save so much money, from $400M/year to roughly $15M. It would make those Yanks wanna hurry the fuck up back to the majors. A-Rod, from $25M/year to half a mil. Rich thought.

And shit, Ottawa could probably beat the Pirates, Nats and D'Rays.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The best league where this would work right now is in Arena Football. You have the AFL and afl2 already in place; most of the afl2 franchises that are successful could probably compete in the higher league. There's some disparity between the two levels, but it's not so pronounced.

For other leagues, the contractual logistics would make it impossible. The only way to make it work would be to split the leagues into a top tier and bottom tier. Plus owners would be dead-set against it to a man. No big-league owner wants his team shunted off to a second-rate level.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If an afl2 team were promoted in an empty arena, would it make a sound?

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, the more I think about this premise in relation to sports in the U.S., the more stupid it becomes.

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Not to mention that it would require x percent of owners to write a death sentence for their teams. If you own the Royals, D-Rays, Lions, Arizona Cardinals, Blackhawks, etc., you're not going to vote for a relegation system.

Promotion/relegation is a great concept, but I don't see it working here. The American system, for better or worse, rewards shitty teams (with high draft picks) rather than punishing them.

12. Songbird

You're a hater, old man :D

Draft saved Draft deleted