1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Release the hounds (or pit bulls)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Local TV reporter goes to gunshot victim's mother's to get a statement about the suspect being arrested. Mother throws a rock at the cameraman, chases them both with a bat in hand, then lets her dogs loose.http://www.abc6.com/story/22504408/abc-6-crew-attacked-while-tracking-arrest

I have one issue with this and that's the reporter and cameraman going into it guns blazing. Don't you walk up with camera down, ask for an interview and when she tells you to screw, you leave?
    I don't want to say they were asking for trouble, but this is the state's last-place TV station and they promoted the crap out of this and led with it tonight. I don't think they were trying to make news, but they weren't trying to not get a reaction.

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

No, you walk up rolling because 1- this could happen and 2- you might want video documentation of what happened for later legal reference.

Plus the very thought of this gives news directors hard-ons and if they have an inkling in their minds that a confrontation is possible but they don't get it because the crew wasn't rolling, your typical ND's reaction is to scream at the crew about how incompetent they are.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

You walk up rolling tape on a mother who's daughter was shot? No human decency of walking up, saying hey, I'm sorry for what happened but we just found out a suspect was arrested and we'd like to ask a few questions? Just show up camera rolling? If that's the case, gross.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Rhody is right. You don't do this. It's a beginner mistake.

Going in with cameras rolling in an emotional situation is a great way to get your ass kicked. I've seen crews get themselves into extremely dangerous situations doing that. You go in with the camera down and talk with them first.

There is no value in a confrontation with a shooting victim's mother. You only look like an asshole.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You walk up with a Trenton cop notorious for shooting pit bulls dead and catch it on camera. Instant ratings.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

This is from the written story:

"Instead of declining to speak on-camera, Melissa Lawrence replied 'OK, that's good,'"

No, she said that statement when told of the arrest. The sentence implies Lawrence agreed to an interview.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You can keep the camera on, but pointed down so that you are at least recording audio and saves a moment or two of time when things go crazy.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

You don't walk up with camera rolling. There's no expectation of them granting an interview at their home. The proper thing is to ask privately. This was confronting and intrusive. Glad they're OK, but they don't come out of this looking good.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yes, confronting and intrusive. In TV news, you do NOT do it if you care about your personal rep or your station's rep. Never.

This is bottom-feeder material from a last place station where everyone there will probably be fired within 18 months anyway.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Well, let me clarify -- there are times when it's absolutely legit. Sometimes the confrontation is the only way you get someone. Hell, we've had to do it with our Governor.

This isn't even close to being one of the situations when it's legit. The mother of a shooting victim has no obligation to answer for anything.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

This was some funny shit. The reporter got what she asked for. NEVER go into a situation like that with the camera rolling. Rookie mistake. True, she was on public property. The woman had no right to throw the rock or sic the dog on the young lady. TV station is right to press charges. The entire situation could've been avoided. And what could she had gotten from the parent except an emotional response. Well she and the camera man got that....and more.

12. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

I'm sorry this is funny as hell. I can't stop laughing even as I type this. The lady did say she didn't want to talk...lmao!

Draft saved Draft deleted