1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!!! Gushing rivals piece on Saban

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

I have never rooted for Auburn to win a game in my life.

Until next week.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The next time I see you, I will kick your ass.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This probably deserves its own thread at some point, but whatever. What's the line for the Iron Bowl, and does ANYONE give Auburn a shot?

Saban has done a hell of a job, yes, but hold the fellacio until they reach the title game. If they beat Auburn and lose to Florida, or even if they lose to Auburn and beat Florida, the season will become a debacle.

Aight?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why the hell would that game deserve it's own thread? Does Michigan-Ohio State or Texas-aTm?
    Hardly.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Maybe. I think there's enough interest to carry a thread for a couple days heading into the game.

And really, does it matter? What criteria must be met before a thread is started on a certain topic/game/whatever? Is there an application process?

Worse threads have been started, I assure you.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If Auburn doesn't win, hope at least that they physically beat the living crap out of the Tide . . . anything that spoils Satan's
    demeanor is a VERY good thing . . .

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I think he is an asshole but would love for him to coach at my alma mater.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I feel dirty.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Tom Dienhart is a great journalist, and one of the best people in this business.
    Thanks for calling attention to this piece, even if you had to demean it to do so.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Many good points and questions are raised by Ryan's post.
    I agree with all of it, knowing full-well that officers with the Thread Police are lurking, 'round every corner of the SportsJournalists.com playground.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ahh yes, I knew this was coming.

I'm sorry I wasn't amazed by your friend's piece, and yes, let's get the inevitable right out of the way: He's better and so much farther along than me that he's probably lapped me six or seven times. Doesn't change the fact that, in this one piece, he burrowed himself so far up Saban's backside he's tasting tonsil. But I also understand human nature and being a bit kinder to a guy after he's given you full access, even if he deserves no such treatment.

I'm sure Saban understands that, too.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

There's no way Saban gives that kind of access without the promise of a happy ending.

Ask the regular beat guys down there.

Ask anyone who's ever covered him.

Pretty good story, but all fluff. If he'd gotten that access and written anything other than fluff, that would have been the last Rivals.com 1-on-1 with him ever — despite its recruiting importance.

Also, this may or may not have anything to do with it, but Rivals is run by a Bama guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted