1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Relatively stable newspapers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bronco77, Nov 26, 2018.

1. InTheKnow22

InTheKnow22 New Member

I think the Democrat-Gazette head honchos feared people would drop subscriptions if they told the subscribers they're giving iPads to that they're raising rates. It's enticing to say "You keep subscribing at your current rate and we'll give you an $800 iPad." $36 a month is pretty reasonable I think for a strong newspaper that's still a fairly good size every day.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

At many papers one/third of the subscribers are 70 and over. The median 2016 income for households for Americans 65-74 was $47,432. For Americans 75 and above it was $30,365. So a newspaper that costs approximately $36 a month is one percent of the income of seniors. And given the proclivity of publishers to increase circulation rates every year the bite is going to get bigger. Newspapers are pricing themselves out of existence.

I acknowledge the price increases are a form of triage and that the papers are dying anyway.

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

With that kind of annual expense, readers better get the best reading experiences and stories.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

N.C. State, baby!

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

8 p.m. deadline, baby!

Draft saved Draft deleted