1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Relationships

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bucknutty, May 31, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And someone to get your back

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It always makes things smoother in the relationship if you get off at the same time...

3. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Boy, it sure didn't take long for this thread to derail, lol.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

had a long-term long-distance relationship fall apart in part because of the work schedule. Her complaining we don't get to see eachother often enough because I don't come down and visit enough (never mind the fact that she could never come up and visit me). So she turned out to be the wrong one for me.

Just got married last year to the love of my life. She understands the long hours a desk guy like myself can put in. She's more fustrated with my boss's inability to do the schedule more than 2 weeks in advance (kinda hard to plan a social life that way) than she is with the hours.

You need to do the little things to make the relationship work -- spend as much time together as possible on your days off, meet for lunch a few times a week if your partner's job allows (trying to be gender neutral for the female journalists in this situation).. and the big one - always put family & relationships first, the job second.

As far as marriage and sports journalists, quick stats for my department: 8 people: 6 married, 1 divorced, 1 never married. 4 of the 6 marrieds have kids. 2 of those with kids use child care issues as the excuse for being 30 minutes-2 hours late for a desk shift. All 6 of the marrieds are in their first marriage (1 for 20+ years, 2 or 3 for 10+ years)

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

A staff of 8 where I work has seven happy marriages and one single guy. I find that amazing.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think this business can lead to Denis Leary's keys to a successful marriage -- it takes a lot of love, communication and understanding....and stay the fuck away from each other as much as possible.

But seriously, if the hours are a problem, either the person you are with will have to love you enough to stop bitching and appreciate what you have or you will lhave to ove that person enough to get out of the business. If you as a couple can't do one of those things, get the hell out now before the fallout from the eventual break-up gets worse.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I had one guy who didn't get it at all. He though as soon as he proposed, I'd switch to a 9-to-5 job.

One of the many reasons he's an ex.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

So really just one happy person then?

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We girls don't even have nurses to turn to . . .

On our staff we have 5 guys married for more than 5 years, only two have kids though. One guy who recently got married, our SE is divorced, two folks who're engaged and three of us who are around 30 and single.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well -- from where I sit -- one of you three single people can marry the SE and then the other two of you can marry each other.

Problem solved!

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That's wrong on so many levels zag.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

As someone once informed me on this board, if she smokes, she pokes.

Draft saved Draft deleted