1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rejection (finding that new job)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDub, Feb 4, 2009.

1. NDub

NDub Guest

OK. Got a rejection e-mail today from a marketing company. Sent them a sparkling cover letter, my resume and 2-3 of my best writing samples for their copywriter position. Basically, I would write copy for advertisements and marketing mediums (brochures, Web, print ads, magazines, etc.) for women's clothing, furniture and kids clothing/toys. Was told I have great skills but not the type of experience they were seeking (wanted three years). I think specifically they wanted somebody who's been a copywriter or in the marketing field before. Not this sports writer, even though I did some project stuff in college just a few years ago.

So, yeah, I'm bummed because I've been looking for about two months and this was the best (and closest) job that's came up. But I'll keep plugging away.

I'm just curious how many times all of you have been rejected or simply not heard anything back from jobs outside of the newspaper biz as you search? And how have you handled it?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Best way to handle it, imo, is to not get excited about any one job, even if it looks awesome and you're sure you've got an "in". It's just another application. If you ride the emotional roller coaster with every seemingly perfect job that doesn't come true, you'll go nuts.

As for not hearing back, that's part of the game, unfortunately. Follow up once or twice if you have a contact, then move on to the next thing.

3. NDub

NDub Guest

I actually did follow up. But I asked what specifically about my type of experience they didn't feel qualified me. Hope to get an answer. That'll definitely help me as I keep looking.

4. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Have you *ever* done the type of writing they're asking for?

If you have to go all the way back to college to emphasize that, do it. Otherwise, you could stress your familiarity with press releases based on seeing many of them when you're a reporter.

Besides talking about how journalism writing relates to PR, I'm currently doing PR thanks to a friend of mine who's going to have me do independent contractor work. If I get brought in for interviews for communications-related positions, I'll start mentioning that.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Oddly, this is one of those times when my "failures" in attempting to secure a better newspaper gig prepped me well. My college roommates and I used to put up all of our rejection letters around the walls of our living room. There were quite a few of them.
    Before my current gig, I had sent some stuff to PR/Ad firms, and most of the time, I simply got no response. Really didn't faze me much.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dub,

As someone with plenty of experience with rejection letters, emails and overly aggressive septuagenarian security guards, I'd say just keep plugging.

Just assume they figured you were overqualified. That's what I do.

Keep plugging. You get a chance to round your resume with different experience or classes, do it.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think most recruiters are loathe to answer this. Might get lucky though.

8. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Keep trying ... broaden your search to include small non-profits looking for 'communications' people. The pay isn't that great in some areas (although it was better than the major metro where I was working) but that's how I got my start in M&C.

9. NDub

NDub Guest

Yeah, I kinda thought that. I responded nicely and just told the person that I understand if they're busy but was hoping for some feedback if they had the time. I don't expect anything, but it'd be nice to know what an ad agency thought about my resume/cover letter/clips.

MU - So those rejection letters served as motivation?

I talked to a good buddy today. I knew it took him several months to get his current job (nothing journalism- or PR-related), but had no clue he sent out about 100 cover letters/resume and got shot down via letter or e-mail on about 60 and never heard anything about the others. I don't feel as bad now.

What bothers me is that I've always been able to attain a job. I've been working since I've been 12 (lawn mowing mini-biz), then got into part-time work a week after my 16th birthday. It's always been normal to me and I've always been good at finding jobs. But now, damn, I get a degree and into the big boy world and I'm striking out.

10. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

I think this is key. Many communications positions are looking for people with journalism backgrounds or advertise skill sets that journos can easily apply to the new job.

If you can get some experience -- any experience -- in PR or media relations, even if it's volunteer, get it. In addition, sell it to the hilt. I'm going to do that with the PR/media relations thing I'm doing now.

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I interviewed for a job while still a sports writer that would have increased my salary by 25 percent. It was perfect, a cool job in a cool company. I interviewe and it went great. They said I would be a good fit and "everything looked good." They only had one more interview but they'd let me know. I told everyone. It felt like it was definitely in the bag.

Anyway, the day came and went and no call. I e-mailed and they responded that "sorry, but. . ."

I was devastated. Here was a great job in a new field that would have been better hours, better pay, and it ziiiiiip. It was gone. I felt sick for days.

I hated the job-seeking process. You feel totally helpless and get excited when you see a message on your answering machine or an e-mail in your inbox until. . .nothing. Ugh. Awful.

But you know what. I kept plugging away. I kept sending out e-mails and resumes and, eventually, the right fit at the right place came open.

All I can say is stick with it. It took me three years of looking to finally land a good gig. It was worth it. Believe me, it's worth it.

12. Dub, I could have written that paragraph, word for fucking word (except I started out at 14, not 12). I had an interview that went just like andyouare?'s and thought I had it in the bag, had everything mapped out post-graduation. Now the word is, "Unfortunately all of our positions are filled right now, but something might open up in the spring." This after not hearing one goddamn thing after the interview after I called and called, left numerous messages, send a handful of emails (in the space of over a month after the interview). Finally got that answer from a contact in a different dept at the place in question.

So, there went those brilliant plans. Now I can't even find a part-time job at Subway around here to pay the bills while I send out more resumes. It's tough right now. There's not a lot out there, and a lot of what IS out there, they want you to have such-and-such years of big boy experience and know how to use this program and that program. But all you can do is keep trying.

On the bright side, I may have a freelancing gig lined up. Trying not to get my hopes up about that lest they be dashed once again, but I was told (via email) my clips looked good and to give the ME a call tomorrow. So we shall see.

Draft saved Draft deleted