1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rejection etiquette from editors

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by STLwriter, Feb 1, 2013.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

if you apply for a job unsolicited, you shouldnt expect a rejection letter. if you apply in response to an advertized position, you ABSOLUTELY deserve a rejection letter -- it's not all that time-consuming for an editor to have someone on their staff hit the 'send' button on a form email. depending upon the postion and the number of applicant a form letter could/should be sent. and, of course, if you get as far as a face-to-face interview you deserve a personal note, email a phone call.

it is neither too difficult nor time consuming to not seem like a chickenspit, spineless jellyfish of a a 'boss,' in our biz or any other. i can promise you those who put a personal touch in rejecting applicants are almost always the bosses whose employees will run through a wall for.'

2. SoccerFan

SoccerFan Member

Again, journalism is one of the worst, if not the worst. Don't customize the rejection letter, don't leave it open-ended to leave open the possibility of further discussion, just tell the person he/she is no longer being considered and thank them for their time. Seriously, it's common courtesy, particularly for an applicant that more than qualifies for the position.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Why do you say this?

We commiserate here how journalism is just awful, the worst, blah blah blah, but in reality there are many other fields that suffer the same problems. Common courtesy, in general, died out long ago.

I am no longer in journalism proper, but in my post-Peace Corps job hunting, I ran across the exact same thing with potential employers -- even AFTER interviewing.

So no, it's not just journalism. And journalism is not the worst that I have experienced.

Draft saved Draft deleted