1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rejection etiquette from editors

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by STLwriter, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

HR and corporate legal may play more of a role in this than we know. At some places it is forbidden to send a "thanks but no thanks" to anyone who isn't a finalist. You can acknowledge receipt of materials if asked, but not comment or respond. They fear any kind of response could open them up to liability.

I'm not saying it's right, and that it's not maddening to be on the receiving end of silence, but sometimes editors/managers have their hands tied by corporate.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what industry you're in, if you apply for a job and the company isn't interested, they're not going to send you a "Thanks but no thanks note" That's mostly standard practice.

HC auditions for opera and music theatre gigs regularly. She does her thing and if they want to hear her again, they'll get in touch; otherwise, she'll never hear from them. She auditions and then forgets about it.

The practice of sending out letters or e-mails to every applicant for a job ended about 20 years ago.

3. SoccerFan

SoccerFan Member

Journalism could be the worst industry in terms of getting back with every applicant, even if it's a form rejection. It's not that hard to do, it's not. It's also not that hard to set up an automated system that generates the form rejections for an editor.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

It could be, but it's not. It's commonplace.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

When I was first on the academic job market, I was in the final batch in the running for a position at a mid-tier Pac-10 (then) school. I know I was in that final batch because: 1) they told me; 2) they did a phone interview with me and didn't with a classmate who'd also applied; and 3) said classmate got a non-descript rejection letter a week or so before I did the phone interview. I never heard from them again. I can only assume that I am still in the running.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

FWIW,

I tried to get back to folks who applied for a reporting job a while back, explaining that they didn't have the type of experience we were looking for.

Many of them sent emails back trying to make the case that they did have experience because they did one story on the subject or something along those lines.

You don't really want to get into a conversation with folks who simply don't compare with the best candidates.

On the one hand, I felt bad not responding to some people because I was overwhelmed and on the other hand, I did not want to get into an email discussion with out-of-state people who weren't in the top tier of candidates.

7. GWB

GWB New Member

I always had a policy that I would respond to every person who applied for a job, and I kept that up until the last time around. I got so many applications and the job has been so busy I never got to it, other than the top candidates. I suppose I could have sent the same form email to everyone and run through the pile in half an hour, but how meaningful would that be?
    The pile still sits here on the side of my desk five months later ... I haven't even gotten around to filing them away. Maybe I'll try sending a note after the winter season ends. I do remember what it was like being on the other side of this.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When I was in school almost (cough) 20 years ago, collecting the "ding" letters was almost a game -- and I remember one bar that gave a free drink for a letter. Bring in stack of letters, crawl home.

Translate that to email rejections today, but not sure one could print out enough to tie one on.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My friend used to have a "rejection letter" that he sent to places after getting a rejection letter. I think he thought it would be creative and possibly get him a second look or a job....

...I don't think that worked well for him.

10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I assume I will hear nothing unless selected to interview, and that's with any job.

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

BULLSHIT.

As an editor, I've always gotten back with every applicant who has ever applied for a job I've hired for, with a personal response. People I've interviewed I've called and talked to them personally to answer questions they might have. Normally they ask what they need to do to become a more attractive candidate and I've told them what I saw, what my concerns were and what they needed to work on. They usually seem understanding and appreciative as most of these are younger writers trying to break in.

As for you, learn some fucking management skills. No wonder your staff hates you. Management is all about how you treat people, dick.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

It's called common courtesy.

The follow-up e-mails that want to continue the discussion that they're worthy? Those I would ignore. You've made your decision. If anything, that might even further validate your choice not to hire a person who wants to challenge every decision you make.

Draft saved Draft deleted