1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reilly's latest, 9/9

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Last week he took a Simmons column and tried to make it his.

I read his latest - http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=reilly_rick&id=4455945 and the first thing I thought of was McCallum's Ace Venture story in SI. - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1008266/1/index.htm

I like the idea. I just wish he didn't do something very similar to what McCallum did. And why now? If he actually made an ace and wrote about it, it's dfferent - but this was just bad.

2. spud

spud Member

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Next week: takes another stab at Whicker's Jaycee Dugard column idea.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'd have liked it if he could have worked in a kid with one leg or something.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder what his kid charged ESPN for the photo.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain SI has run a more recent hole in one story where a writer hit shot after shot, since McCallum's article.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think Butch from the "Pick Up Butch" column was busy.

8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Yeah, and I even read one in my local paper not long ago. Not original at all.
    And a 52-yard hole? REALLY?! I felt guilty that my only hole-in-one came on a 107-yard hole.

9. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

Goodness, the guy can't write anything without you guys hammering on him, can he? That was a light, entertaining, self-deprecating read of the kind Reilly has always done well. The SI piece is 10 times longer, 100 times deeper, and written 13 years ago. So you're telling me that as a columnist, I can't use an idea because someone at another publication did it over a decade ago? Please.

God, the level of hatred and jealousy and ridicule when it comes to this guy is downright infantile. Don't like how much money he makes? Fine. But I've always looked at Rick Reilly's salary as proof that if he can make it that big in this flailing industry, then I can, too. Quit bitching and try to build a track record like he did, the one that earned him that big payday in the first place.

10. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

X2. Okay, sometimes he isn't the greatest. And yes, sometimes he uses ideas. But I agree with the second part of that statement: He is proof that someone can use this industry to make money. And for the record, I like making money.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I didn't think it was that bad.

Five years ago, that would have been his worst column of the year. This year, it's probably one of his best.

12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Rick mailed it in on the golf course and then mailed it in with this column. 50 yards? I could throw it in the hole from there.

Stay out in the heat a little longer, take some more swings, and get a legit hole-in-one.

Draft saved Draft deleted