1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reilly's debut for ESPN the MAG.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Jun 4, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, everyone's written their "Playing Catch with My Dad" book so we'e moved over to golf.

Seriously, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed playing golf with my old man.

When we were on the course together--even when I was just 13 or 14--we were golfing partners first and father and son second.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I liked the story, but after I read it I did think that it has been a long time since I read something that short on espn.com.

Would you say it was about the length of an SI column?

Could he have written this before he started at ESPN and just had it filed away?

ESPN the Mag allows for much longer stuff, correct?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I miss the pre-Lobo Rushin. The other one, I don't miss for a second.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

True.

Also, I wonder how embellished it is.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Good point, too.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I like Reilly's ESPN.com chat better than the article:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=20918

As for Rushin, I believe he freelances now. He had a few articles in Time last fall. He also has a BLOG!!

http://www.steverushin.com/wordpress/

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That is a good chat.

He took on some of the tougher questions as well.

Over/Under on him being on Monday Night Football? Three years?

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have put it quite that way, Mizzou, but there was a point where Rushin dropped off and seemed to file too-frequent throwaway stuff (anagrams!). Didn't think to synch it up with his domestic status but you could be right. That said, I hope he's happy in his post-SI life.

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

I agree, and I also agree with the earlier point about the socioeconomic demographics of golf. It's the very reason I've never liked it, plus the fact that it's as entrenched in elitism as anything else.

This is an honest question: Did that many people grow up playing golf with their dads? I've never played with my dad, and neither of us would ever desire to play golf together. In fact, maybe one of my friends from childhood ever played golf with his dad.

10. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

My dad played golf regularly when I was a kid, and he took me a few times, but I really hated it -- didn't have the patience. Later, he stopped playing when he started some new "hobbies." Like joining the Ski Patrol and starting a rowing team at the local college.

A few years ago he retired (from his paying job), not the hobbies, and he decided that he wanted to start golfing again. I started to play with him (and took some lessons) and now I cherish every round we play. Like someone else said here, he's my playing partner out there, not my father, which in some weird way makes him even more of a father to me.

God that came out a lot more sappy than I intended. But ESPN headlines aside, I wouldn't just limit a relationship like this to golf, but some people can associate their father-son/daughter relationship in a similar way.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Solid piece.

A little short.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Read the chat linked above?

Reilly: "My plan is to write the same kind of columns as i did at SI, even down to the word count: 800, even online. I don't care that cyberspace is infinite. I still think it's much harder -- and much better -- to be short and pithy. That's the whole trick! I hope nothing changes about that. I still want to write columns that are little surprises each week. I want them to be unpredictable. I want them to add up to something bigger than sports, except when they're just there for laughs. The only change, I think, is that they may skew a little younger considering ESPN's younger and more digital audience."

Ken (pdx): "'I still think it's much harder -- and much better -- to be short and pithy.' You are already taking it to Simmons. Not that there is anything wrong with that."

Reilly: "I've already told him that and he disagrees. He says he likes to write long and be tangential and parenthetical and let it flow. He says, 'That's my style.' And it's hard to argue with. Look at him. The guy's a pheenom. But it's not my style. I'm sticking with what brung me."

Draft saved Draft deleted