1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reilly re-distributing baseball's MVP awards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 18, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Reilly is a buffoon. Big mistake by The Worldwide Leader.

I was unable to find the pic of the cardinal sitting on the needle. As penance, I offer this likely-NSFW (but no boobage!) picture from the first page of my Google image search for that pic.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

True enough, but this new filter pushes me over the edge. I could distinguish between eras, the ballparks, mound heights, etc., and even make an allowance for the "modern" ballplayer. And I'm not naive enough to think that guys 30-40 years ago weren't on some kind of juice too. But this PED era is just uglier to me and the media 24/7 discussion of it all is a turnoff too.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Cut Reilly some slack. It used to be a $2.99 steak. He's adjusting with the times.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agreed on that last sentence. It's definitely overload these days, but that's because we're in the middle of it.

That said, give it time. Hard to develop a good filter for this era when there's been nothing to replace it yet.

5. The argument for taking away MVP awards from steroids cheaters begins and ends with the fact that Mike Greenwell came in second to Jose Canseco in 1988.

Baseball is not ready to deal with a retroactive Greenwell MVP.

Nobody should be subjected to that.

Oh and Reilly sucks elderly donkey balls.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I actually thought it was pretty good. Good idea, good writing. What's your problem with it? That he rightfully blasted baseball beat writers for getting scooped by a barely literate Jose Canseco?

8. Not sure how old that kid is but I am sure he's too old to be nursing like that.

9. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Thanks for stopping by Rick.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No, the mistake would have been if they had hired you.

11. See the post directly above yours. Reilly was no better than anyone else in that regard.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yeah, right:
    SI 9/14/98

"To my granddaughter,
    I write this now, 40 years after the fact, because I want you to know how it really was, not through some yellowed video you play on your contact lenses....

That was such an odd time in this country. Washington seemed to be filled with liars, cheats and scumbags, yet our games were as pure and shiny as I'd ever seen them. I still think that year in sports, 1998, was the best of my lifetime....

Draft saved Draft deleted