1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reilly on Tiger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sprtswrtr10, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

An interesting read. Too much first person for my taste, but still a good column.

2. Mizzougrad96

It would have seemed to be a no-brainer that he was going to pass Nicklaus five years ago...

Phil is still at the top of his game at 43. I think if Tiger could get off the schneid in Majors, I could see him winning three in two years, but I could also see him never winning another one.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Tiger's still in his "prime" and will be until he's 47?

Interesting theory.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

All right! Two years to work on my game!

The Nicklaus thing is the outlier that convinces everybody it's possible, but that was just a miracle day.

Regarding the column, I thought it was quite good. It feels like every time in the last however many years I've felt like Reilly had something good to say, it was about Tiger. Maybe he just has a special line of insight to the guy who was on top of his profession and then, poof, just lost it while undergoing dramatic family changes too.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ryan, you don't win 4 tournaments in 2013 if you're not an elite golfer.

He'll always have the best trainers available to keep him in the best shape possible, which is why Tiger at 47 will (or should) be a force physically.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Can I get in on the "I'll buy you a round of golf in your town if he doesn't win 2 majors by the time he's 40" bet?

If so, this is Northern Virginia. Take out a loan.

7. Songbird

We will see.

I can't afford 2 rounds but I'll buy you dogs and beer at a Nats game.

8. LongTimeListener

Yeah, I'm wondering if it actually has to be in my town or if I can stretch that definition down toward Pebble :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Songbird

At this rate it'll be the LTLville Par 3.

10. Mizzougrad96

What's the deadline? Do we give Tiger until he's 50? :D

I could see him breaking the record. I don't think he will, but it's not ridiculous to think he has a shot.

The notion of him winning eight between now and when he turns 50 just seems absurd.

11. LongTimeListener

I repeat what I've been saying for a few years now -- amid all the talk about Tiger's damaged psyche and the scandal and divorce, there is very little discussion of the fact that he was playing pretty well post-injury in 2009 until the good Dr. Galea was busted for supplying PEDs to all those other mega-famous athletes, but of course never to Tiger.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

So the first three rounds in his his major wins shouldn't count because he's never come from behind? Doesn't matter how you do it, just that you win. If he breaks Nicklaus' record and never comes from behind does he get an asterisk?

Draft saved Draft deleted