1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reilly on the boy wrestler who wouldn't...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Feb 20, 2011.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

[/quote]Reilly made it a black-and-white issue: Northup was wrong in refusing to wrestle her and denied her the chance to wrestle.

Plus he was there to make a few bucks off of his appearance anyway.

It's not as black and white as we're trying to make it. Northup didn't deny her the opportunity to wrestle at all. He chose to default because he didn't feel right about it.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

He was there. He sat next to my writer in the press area.

My prediction on Friday, after hearing he was writing something about it, was that he would make some reference to corn in the story. He did not disappoint.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Has this wrestler issued an opinion on the butt drag?

4. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Actually, there was checking in women's hockey until the late 1980s or early 1990s when the IIHF decided the US and Canada were too physically dominant over the rest of the world and decided to make it no-check. And while men vs. women can be dangerous if there is a significant size or weight difference, in a weight-class sport like wrestling, that's not an issue.

Trying to compare wrestling to domestic assault is a huge strawman. It's a refereed sport with strict rules to what is legal or illegal contact.

The kid is obviously perfectly free to state his beliefs and stick to them. There is something admirable about being that strong in his beliefs.

But at the same time, his beliefs are sexist, pure and simple. The way to respect a woman is to treat her how you would treat anyone else engaged in that activity.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In this context, when the wrestler or his father says that their religion teaches that they should "elevate" women, that's code for saying they want to treat women differently.

I would bet this church doesn't encourage female preachers.

6. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

That was a hell of a parting shot by Reilly.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if it did. But it's a non-denominational church, so it's an entity unto itself.

Draft saved Draft deleted