1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reilly nails it

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lone star scribe, Mar 3, 2011.

1. OK, many of us have proclaimed that Rick Reilly has lost a couple mph off his high, hard one, that he's not the columnist he used to be.

But give the guy credit, when he hits one out of the park (OK, I realize I just mixed my baseball metaphors), it's fun to step back and watch it.

Here's the link, on the NFL labor situation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6177574

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yet another "put a stamp on it and open the mailbox" column from Reilly.

Owners are greedy? They own multiple homes?

Brilliant reporting work by Reilly here.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

4. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

The column did skew my perspective toward the players, but I don't know if it's outstanding.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

"Hey, did you hear the NFL owners are rich?"

"How rich are they?"

"They're so rich they're not committing suicide like these two players!"

(Laughter.)

Fucking awful use of a serious topic.

[quote author=Rick Reilley]Question: In 10 years, do you think you're going to find New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft wandering the streets because of the 200-plus concussions he didn't know he had from his time in the NFL? You figure Detroit Lions owner William Clay Ford will end up with ringing in the ears and depression the way former Patriots linebacker Ted Johnson did? Within the past year alone, two former players killed themselves.

You recall any NFL owners killing themselves lately?[/quote]

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I haven't read Reilly much since he jumped to ESPN the Rag...and this just states the obvious...rich owners looking for a better deal...players signing on for a risky and often short career. Where's the "wow" in that.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Side note: How does the NFLPA get a figure of 3,000 jobs in each NFL city? I doubt the full-time positions would be even a tenth of that. Maybe if you're counting the beer vendor who gets eight days of good money, but even then, 3,000? Do the dad and son who get $10 for parking spots on their front lawn count as two?

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

And does D. Smith at least get a tagline on that? It's awesome that if you stand the millionaire up next to the billionaire, he might as well be standing on an offramp with a cardboard sign. The greed isn't one-sided here.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

[/quote]

I didn't get that at all. I disagree with Reilly here, for the most part. But his point that it is the players, not the owners, putting their lives on the line is fair game.

He's not making a joke. He's making a point.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I didn't get that at all. I disagree with Reilly here, for the most part. But his point that it is the players, not the owners, putting their lives on the line is fair game.

He's not making a joke. He's making a point.
    [/quote]

I hate when people say that - "the players are putting their life on the line."
    Great. Guess what? That's their choice. It's the risk of the job, a job where they're paid a hefty sum of money.
    Don't want to deal with the reprocussions of the job? Stay in school, get a degree, and go teach.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I hate when people say that - "the players are putting their life on the line."
    Great. Guess what? That's their choice. It's the risk of the job, a job where they're paid a hefty sum of money.
    Don't want to deal with the reprocussions of the job? Stay in school, get a degree, and go teach.

[/quote]

Then they'll really be putting their lives on the line.

Draft saved Draft deleted