1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reilly lecturing again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Woods is much worse off the course, and off camera, than he is on camera. Loved on the Tour for the money he generates, unloved for who he really is.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This is going to sound silly I'm sure, but considering the amount of multi-source paychecks on ESPN, what would have prevented Reilly from doing TV work for ABC? Are the dueling websites the only thing that prevent SI writers from appearing on ESPN?

3. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Not following you, since ABC and ESPN are owned by the same company, and Reilly was part of ABC's coverage. Wearing a hideous white suit the day I saw him. Embarassing.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Care to elaborate? Beating his wife, making it rain? SI had a poll a few years ago and he was voted the favorite playing partner. Doesn't sound like he's real unloved.

http://www.waggleroom.com/story/2007/5/11/15323/2094

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Yeah, that comment surprised me too. I know a lot of people think he's arrogant or whatever, but I've never heard that he's not a nice guy or that people who know him dislike him.

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i've heard that tiger actually is liked better than lefty by his tour brethren.

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I would never have doubted that. Lefty is not popular, from what I've heard, but Tiger is. Rory Sabbatini doesn't like him, but that's it as far as I know.

8. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I'm surprised Reilly hasn't taken up this subject: The young, Mr. Jordan Thomas.

http://www.edition.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/07/23/amputee.advocate/index.html

The story is right up Reilly's alley: Guy is captain of the HS golf team, loses his legs in an accident, then starts a charity foundation for amputees and still plays around par, good enough to get in Reilly's pocket for serious cash.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

And now there's this, from Dan Wetzel...

“Either behave or get off the course,” ESPN’s Rick Reilly wrote.

Easy there, Judge Smails.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news;_ylt=AgU_aqYbMK34ZsuuHVb.Sj45nYcB?slug=dw-tigerwoods081109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Good column.

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I recall hearing the same thing, 2under. Lefty is an expert I'm everything ... Just ask him. At least ETW is genuine.

RB

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Also, Tiger isn't exactly Mr. Goody Goody off the course, either. At least according to one NYC bartender I know. Not that I'm in the business of believing everything a bartender has to say or anything....

Draft saved Draft deleted