1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reilly lecturing again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I, too, enjoyed the piece. It's a good column and brings up a good point that not nearly enough people call out Tiger on.

I also agree with those who said it's refreshing to not see a ESPN junkie slobbing over Tiger and bringing up a legitimate point. Good for Reilly; it's something of his we've seen few and far between these days.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Tiger is normally one of the most ardent supporters of golf's old standards and traditions. When he's asked why crowds can't make noise the way they do when basketball players are shooting free throws, he answers with a variation of "that just isn't our game." He doesn't think steroids would ever be a problem because golfers, unlike other athletes, truly believe in a code of honor. He has spoken eloquently about introducing kids to the experience as spectators and about bringing them up to the etiquette standards that make golf different.

I don't think Tiger has it over Jack Nicklaus or Ben Hogan in the intensity category. And he talks glowingly of following in their footsteps. When he throws his clubs and curses on the course, he is contradicting himself.

And since I was the first one to comment on how ridiculous the thread's initial criticism was, let me reiterate: I have no idea what Rick Reilly's alleged (and now it sounds like nonexistent) behavior in a press box many years ago has to do with this column. That's really one of the most childish arguments I've seen around these parts.

3. silentbob

silentbob Member

I hate when people write or say that golfers have to act a certain way because it's "golf." I think that very attitude is what drives so many people away from the sport. I only have to cover a major tournament once a year, and the whole prim-and-proper charade drives me nutty. So if Tiger wants to drop a few F-bombs, more power to him.

That said, I liked the column. One of Rick's better efforts lately.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What LTL is saying, though, is Tiger can't have it both ways. He can't play the "that's golf" card when it benefits him, then turn around and act like a baby when things don't go his way.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I agree with that.

And I would absolutely piss my pants with laughter to see this:

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Oh, yeah, Tiger would make Happy Gilmore blush.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I liked this one. RR made his argument, backed it up with solid points and stayed away from his Katskillz Komic routine. Nice to see him throw a good fastball.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Talking to Tiger for the piece would do nothing to change Reilly's opinion, which, you know, is the point of the column....to express his opinion.

I really didn't think this was that deep of a concept.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Would be worth it to watch Steve Williams head explode... so that's cool...

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Even more, I'd love to see Steve Williams try to confiscate the camera of someone who turns out to be a third-degree black belt in a killing martial art. Except the person doesn't kill Williams, just punts him around the golf course like a hacky sack.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"I am Tiger Woods."

12. Rick wrote: "This isn't new. Woods has been this way for years: swearing like a Hooters' bouncer, trying to bury the bottom of his driver into the tee box, flipping his club end over end the second he realizes his shot is way offline."

Only problem I've got with the column: I've never seen a bouncer at Hooters. And before the comments start: No pun intended.

Rick needs to get out more.

Draft saved Draft deleted