1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reilly lecturing again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jul 22, 2009.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I liked it, too.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Same here.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Agree that this is the best thing Reilly has written in a while. Never understood the temper thing with Tiger. In almost all aspects, he's a total iceman. His father used to jangle keys and throw stuff at him when he's putting and now he freaks at camera being shot? What happened to the steely resolve?
    Funny thing about the column though, coming off last weekend, he writes about a guy who doesn't even make the cut? He always used to find the story that nobody else had, maybe a time Watson was the one beating the sentimental favorite and feeling guilty about winning a major. Talk to Watson's caddy. What do you say, what don't you say? But no, Tiger's temper, a column that could have been written at any time. Maybe he had to file on Saturday, I don't know.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"I know what you're saying. We see more Tiger tantrums because TV shows every single shot he hits. And I'm telling you: You're wrong. He is one of the few on Tour who do it."

I don't buy that. The Tour has its share of hotheads, maybe not as many as back in the day but they're still there.

Good point, Dan. I also think a Tiger temper column is almost unfair after a missed cut as a major. This just in -- the guy gives a crap and thought he could win the thing. He's not going to play like that and say "aw shucks, I'll get 'em next time."

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He thinks he can win every thing. That's besides the point.

For the most part, I like Tiger. At least I'm growing to like him.

But Jesus, Tiger, calm the eff down. Hit the ball, and for good or worse, move on. Stop acting like a bitch.

6. housejd

housejd Member

The column was not great, but an easy read. And I even agree with Reilly.

The big problem I have is the fact the guy is paid hand over fist and can't even muster the effort to talk to anyone. Wanna blast Tiger? Then have the balls (and integrity) to talk to the guy. Ask him why he gets so upset. Question whether he thinks he needs to be more of a role model.

Talk to kids watching. Do they throw clubs as much as they do the Tiger fist pump? Do parents watching there even care what Tiger does?

Reilly just doing the legwork a blogger could do is crap. I thought sports journalists were paid to bring people places they couldn't go. It would seem Tiger Woods' mind and feelings would qualify as that.

Just my two cents ...

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

And Reilly gave his two cents. He's a columnist, not a beat guy. He's not obligated to talk to Tiger for an opinion piece on Tiger. Columns can be one-sided, ya know? That's kind of the point.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I like the column for the fact that it was a column, not some lame, ass-kissing feature on one of Reilly's athlete pals or a feature on a story he found in some smaller paper.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's funny, I remember when the argument against Tiger, and golfers in general, is that they didn't show enough emotion.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Exactly, Dan.
    We all bitch about athletes acting like robots, then when one of the all-time greats shows his temper because he's playing like shit, we rip him for it.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't necessarily go for the "what about the kids?" take, which took all of five paragraphs for Reilly to pull out. I hope to take my kid to see Tiger play sometime, and if he goes into this act, so be it. It's his office and if he wants to be a jackass, it's tough to legislate against that. My kid might emulate it once because that's what kids do, but it sure as hell won't happen twice. I don't need Finchem ordering Tiger to tone it down for the sake of my kid.

(climbing down off soapbox)

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I don't care if Tiger says fuck or slams his clubs. Big deal. Just play and move along.

If he allowed it once on the course, every shot would turn into a zoo with people trying to spook him. So he's become Mr. Quiet for anything from a sneeze to a camera shutter.

It would be funny to see someone honk an air horn at the top of his backswing just to see him melt down, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted