1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reilly copied a two-year old column?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, Dec 2, 2009.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

A former co-worker of mine once got his stuff in Greatest American Writing for a column. I asked him about it after a few beers one time, and he admitted he had written the column two years before for a smaller paper, and simply rehashed it at the bigger one. The kicker was he had submitted the small paper column in for his state press association award and didn't get anything. Two years later, it's great.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Further proof that state press association awards are largely a crap shoot

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Criticizing Reilly's work ethic is like rooting for Tiger Woods to pick up Brad Pitt's girl with $20 on the sidewalk, or whatever the hell it was he analogized.

Reilly's still going to win (i.e., be paid way too much for way too little). Is Time Inc. laying off people these days because it lost Reilly as a sellable brand? Or does it just wish it had back all the money it threw at him before ESPN doubled down?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That was when he had a soul.

I thought it was interesting seeing Reilly comment on Tiger's transgressions on SportsCenter. Reilly knows a thing or two about the topic having been thrown out of his house by his first wife a couple years ago.

I don't think he's intentionally copying himself either. He's just being very lazy and phoning it in while he collects his $3.2 million a year.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

The problem is Reilly doesn't give a rat's ass.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Fixed.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I thought it was common knowledge to all of Reilly's longtime readers (and hell, most of his short-time readers) that he's just keeping up appearances at ESPN, enough to cash in and enjoy life.

I'm fine with this. It's because I don't read Reilly anymore, but I'm fine with this.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Mizzou: Thank you. That first sentence neatly sums everything up.

Different guy now.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Bingo.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The thing is, if I were this lazy for $32K a year I'd be reprimanded. What happens to Reilly? Sure, he ripped himself off, but he did so while ripping off a completely different competing company. This should be very punishable in some sort of way.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've always spelled it ridonkulous. Ridonk for short. Can we get a ruling?

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Re.

Ri is for the real spelling of ridiculous.

When dic becomes donk, the re rule takes over.

I read that somewhere. It must be true.

Draft saved Draft deleted