1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

reilly column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by budcrew08, Oct 25, 2008.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

If you'd never read Reilly before, or read him only occasionally, you'd probably consider the column a nice, entertaining read. But if you're familiar with his work, you can see that this is just a variation on one of his standard themes -- the big celeb is really an average Joe. This column was just like his riding with Lance Armstrong and playing golf with Bill Clinton pieces. It's been said before, but Reilly basically has about 3 or 4 types of columns and he just writes them over and over again.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

In my experience, it works the other way around.

Why the hate?

He's cocky, but he's a great sports columnist.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Think the feeling around here re Reilly is one of disappointment, especially in the light of what WAS.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the day he writes one about SportsJournalists.com ...

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I always stood up for Reilly when he got knocked on here, but since he's moved to ESPN he's been a complete non-factor. He's one of many writers that I enjoy reading but wish I NEVER saw them on TV; it just totally changed the way I look at him and his work. It shouldn't really come as a surprise that's he's more about "me" now that he's with ESPN.

As for the obligatory "no one cares about fantasy football" comment, millions of people play it so therefore they probably liked this. You can say they're all idiots, but they're our audience, so what does that say about us?

As far as Ditka, from what I've seen on him on TV and how things went with the Saints...I'd just say he was lucky to have one of the greatest defenses in history.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

To boot, AP runs Fantasty Football stories.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

It's not that no one cares about fantasy football. It's that no one wants to hear people talk about their fantasy football teams.

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

And of course this column isn't that, so the comment doesn't apply here.

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Yet another media ploy to make Obama look like a "regular guy" because he knows his sports. That'll really serve him and the country well when that big international challenge, as Biden promises, comes in the first six months of Obama's term if elected. Maybe Obama can "draft" Drew Brees to be our Homeland Security Czar.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

The Penn State Nitally Lions would disagree.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Yes, because Sarah the Hockey Mom and McCain the best friend of Joe the Plumber have made no effort to present themselves as a "regular gal/guy."

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Never said it did.

Just as, despite what you wrote, no one in this thread said "no one cares about fantasy football."

Draft saved Draft deleted