1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reilly breaks off China

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

irrelevant shit. i guess he didn't quite have it in him to try on this one, either.

paging star fucker ...

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This column bugs me on a number of journalistic levels, but none more than the fact that I don't really think Rick is in China.

3. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

A bunch of enablers you people are! Reilly works for ESPN right? I don't expect big state paper to have the resources to dedicate to TRUTH. But, ESPN, the WP, The NYT and SI -- DOOOOO!!

Journalists can whine or hit the pavement. Shockingly they've chosen the former.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You're an unmitigated shithead.

Even if someone wanted to, how does an American journalist, with no sources, scant knowledge of the Chinese athletic system and no Chinese language skills at all, uncover truth in a Communist government that can and will punish anyone it even suspects of spilling the beans in the span of less than two weeks?

Before you rant, answer the question, because it's easy as hell to bitch and moan about your idiotic perception of the situation without a solution of your own.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This blogger is trying, probably from his mom's basement.

http://strydehax.blogspot.com/2008/08/hack-olympics.html

He tried through google, and then Baidu, the Chinese language search engine. It's a pretty interesting read.

And Reilly's piece blows.

6. Bubbler

You're right it's interesting, but interesting in the way circumstantial evidence is interesting. No way would I run a story based on a web site translation engine.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hmmm - I won't argue with you on the journalistic merits of this blogger's methods, I will yield to your experience. Personally, I think its a fantastic way of utilizing resources available to find out more information than we knew previously.

8. Bubbler

Not going to argue that, it's enterprising and the blogger is to be commended for doing what's at his disposal, but it's also very shaky evidence and not enough to base a story on.

First it would have to be independently verified that what he thinks he found is what he did find. I don't know fuck-all about internal Chinese bureaucracy, and I suspect, the blogger doesn't either. It's a big leap of faith to trust a Google or a Baidu language translation of a web page as gospel.

But if it was verified, then he would need to confront the Chinese agency with it for an explanation. Therein lies a big problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted