1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reilly breaks off China

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Aug 20, 2008.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Nice compilation of all the shit China pulled during the past couple weeks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3542649

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Funny.

3. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Nice compilation, but a strikethrough gag he's used before (and published in one of his SI books - the Avalanche/Red Wings column).

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Good column, point definitely made.

But it was hard as hell to read.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah the strike through thing is played. And it looks like something you'd read in someone's AIM profile.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Once again, not a hard column for anyone paying the least bit attention, unoriginal, and worst of all, boring.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm gathering they didn't send him to China for that, right? Reads like a post on this site. Scott Price's piece on what the Olympics mean to China, much, much better.

8. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Didn't Atlanta ship out its homeless to other cities in 1996? I remember hearing something like that.

9. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

I generally like Reilly. But if all those offended JOURNALISTS had the brass stones they write as if they have - they'd try to really BREAK the story on the gymnasts. There has to be someone somewhere that knows the truth.

It looks like the USA whining to point and say 'they're too young.' Yeah, our OLDER ladies lost to youngsters.

They probably are under the age limit but the REPORTERS in China ought to do what they're paid to do - REPORT - GATHER FACTS - GRIND OUT THE TRUTH. We write about great athletes fighting through injury to win but how about the journalistic equivelant? Find the truth about the China gymnasts or stop whining about how you JUST know they're under age.

10. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Well, finding the truth about the gymnasts' age would be a nice bit of journalistic digging. It's also impossible. I'm sure the Chinese government has covered its tracks. A journalist might find some hearsay evidence but actual facts ... highly doubtful.
    And exactly how long do you think it would take to unearth the facts if they were available? You want it done during the 3 weeks of the Games? Let's say someone did nail the Chinese ... in a year. Would anyone care? I kinda doubt the IOC would revoke the medals based on a news story.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Unreadable crap.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I agree with you on that last sentence: quit whining.

But if I'm an editor and I have, say, two writers in China to cover the Olympics and I have, say, maybe a half-dozen local athletes there to write about, in addition to all the major stories to cover like Phelps, Bolt, et al ... I am going to be PISSED if my writers aren't giving me my money's worth by covering at least 2-3 events every day.

Where are they going to find the time to investigate this gymnast story? Because I'm surely not going to waste my money digging up rumors that might or might not pan out.

So, who's going to do it?

Draft saved Draft deleted