1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reign Over Me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Three words guaranteed to move me down the line a ways at the MetroPlex --
    "Starring Adam Sandler."
    However, PJ is one of the only bands I'd pay to do a Who cover.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Movie getting really good reviews so far. Especially Sandler.

So take that!

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

No......in the actual TV commercial for the movie :)30) there's a (I'm 99.7% sure it's Hootie and the Blowfish) song playing, and I can't remember the damn name of it. If you can find the commercial for the movie, and not the trailer, there it would be.

4. I'm with IJAG.

I don't think I can bring myself to watch it. I really dislike everything Sandler has done, starting with Opera Man on Saturday Night Live. I tried to like his stuff. Went to the movies to see the one he did with Jack Nicholson. Can't remember the name of it, but it was awful.

I'm sure he'll ruin Reign Over Me too.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm in the "if Sandler's in it, I ain't going" crowd, but the reviews have been uniformly positive.

Today's Toronto Star gives it three out of four stars--not something you see every day.

http://www.thestar.com/artsentertainment/article/195176

Despite the considerable obstacles stacked against it – Adam Sandler, a 9/11 theme and a trailer so heavy-handed that makes it look like it should be titled Reign Man – Mike Binder's Reign Over Me turns out to be that genuinely rare Hollywood release: a movie that is a once emotionally moving, sharply observed and only modestly hopeful.

Even more commendable, it even manages to make 9/11 connection Рalready, it must be sadly admitted, something of a concrete-reinforced cultural clich̩ Рwork. As an aunt of mine was prone to ask, "who'd have thunk?"

and

While ultimately uneven and hampered by both a poor grasp of its female characters and an ending that ironically cops in the direction of adolescent fantasy (for Charlie anyway), Reign Over Me still qualifies as one of the more arresting studio-made surprises of the year so far.

At the very least, it puts a whole new spin on Billy Madison

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

Found it.........sounds like Hootie, but it's the Killers........

7. Call it a 9/11 backlash, but the thing that bugs me about this movie is the pandering. It isn't enough that Sandler lost his wife and kids, it's that he lost them... to 9/11! It's a middlebrow emotional short cut into the pity party. If he had lost them to a drunk driver, or they were eaten by wolves, would Sandler's situation/emotional state be any less valid?

8. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

... and they were delicious.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Went to go see this today. Forgot the kiddies are out on spring break, so there was a line for the 1:30p showing that wound its way out of the theater. Uh... Pass. I'll catch it some other time. Now, in a wee bit of a threadjack some other movie observations:
    > I need to revoke my man card after going, alone, to see 'Music and Lyrics' on Tuesday night. There were five people in the theatre: Two teenaged girls, a guy dragged there by his girlfriend, and me. Spot the loser, anyone? That said, it's a sweet, funny little flick.
    > Also bought 'Stranger than Fiction' and watched it last weekend. Was on its way to being a very good movie with a 'Garp' sort of feel, then the focus groups got ahold of it and they had to tack on the happily-ever-after ending. Fuck. Way to kill a movie, Hollywood.
    > Saw previews for 'Knocked Up.' It does, indeed, look like it's a funny flick. I'll give it a shot.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The bad news: You have to turn in your penis
    The good news: You can work for Tribune Corp.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The trailer I saw in the theater had the PJ "Love Reign O'er Me" cover and I found it very powerful. Made me want to see the movie. The TV commercial w/the other song? Eh. Doesn't move me. I'll probably see it, though. I like Cheadle a lot. I've met him a few years ago. Nice guy - very unassuming.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I thought the very same thing. And Music and Lyrics and Stranger Than Fiction are both quirky but generally enjoyable little entertainments.

Draft saved Draft deleted