1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"reign over me" on starz

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Apr 26, 2008.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

seeing it for first time. wow. quite powerful. great job by sandler and cheadle. great soundtrack. plenty of bruce and jackson browne.

don't recall it being wonderfully received at box office. but seems outstanding to me.

2. rube

rube Active Member

Pretty solid little flick, I really wasn't into Sandler's character that much (wasn't bad though) but Cheadle did a nice job I thought.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Not really a box office kind of movie, but because of Sandler was not fully embraced by the indie community that flocks to this kind of film. Still, very good stuff.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I really liked the movie. Sandler doesn't get enough credit for his acting chops, and he put it all out there in that flick.

5. there's something I thought I'd never see.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I see him in a situation muck like Jim Carrey; they do all those comedies early on and make bank, and they're typecast. While Carrey is probably a better actor, Sandler's still got some skills. He convinced me of that Punch-Drunk Love. I had to watch that movie a second, third, fourth and fifth time.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Great movie. Had watched it on free d/l and liked it so much I went out and bought the DVD. Very powerful. Very moving.

8. ...and Pearl Jam's cover of Love, Reign O'er Me was fantastic.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I saw Shivers -- David Cronenberg's first movie -- for the first time on Movie Channel last night. The one where a parasite turns everyone into sex fiends.

Even though it was made before it, the last 30 minutes of that movie are themetically like the last hotel scene in The Shining ... unsettling. Weird incestual apartment scenes with Santa Claus-looking men, child twins on leashes, old people fucking. Everybody fucking.

Weird, yet sort of engrossing, movie.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's beginning at 6:10 again this A.M., so I've set up the TiVo recorder. Had never heard of it before this thread but am looking forward to watching it. Anyone who has seen Spanglish should know Sandler has some chops for more serious stuff. At brief moments he even showed that in Big Daddy.

11. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

That's a good call. Sandler's performance is phenomenal. Cheadle is great as usual - I might need to put him on my top actors list.

Really, though, the movie is great not for what it does, but for what it doesn't do.
    It doesn't shove 9/11 in your face. It puts it out there, and gives the viewer credit to handle it as he/she chooses.

There are a couple of sidestories that are just incredibly useless - but in general, I love the movie.

12. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Just finished watching it...thanks for the heads up. I never would've watched it if it wasn't for this thread.

I thought it was very good...the scene when he comfronts his in-laws after the hearing nearly ripped me in half. I wasn't expecting it at all.

I've only seen Sandler's funny movies (Big Daddy, Wedding Singer), never Spanglish or Click. He definitely has talent, but I don't think he'll ever be taken seriously unless he continues to make these kinds of films. And my impression is that he likes the funny movies better, since he hires all his friends to be in them with him.

Draft saved Draft deleted