1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reid speaks out on "I'm a Man!" rant

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BartonK, Apr 11, 2008.

1. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Tom Friend gets Bobby Reid's side of the Mike Gundy rant debacle from last fall:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3341578&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos2

And guess what? Looks like Mama Reid is a bit of a meddler. And Reid and his mom believe the meat of the Carlson column came from Gundy or his staff.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Dammit! I just posted this over on Sports and News.

Great minds and such, BK. :D

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Good story.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Tom Friend is one of my favorites. Great story.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Great idea, tracking this kid down.

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

That was an excellent story. Thanks for posting it.

7. VJ

VJ Member

Tom Friend is awesome.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That was a good read. Took a shot at Carlson for not actually being at the game and getting the facts straight, but if that's true, it's necessary.

I'll pull for the kid next year.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the hell out of that piece.

Is it too early to start the chorus of "fire Mike Gundy! He's 41!"

10. I'd forgotten why I didn't give a shit about this story last year.

11. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I'm not sure Johnnie Cole is the right man to help this guy. From a story that ran in the paper I work at:

According to Alabama State sports information director Kelvin Datcher, Cole - along with his brother L.C., who was the head coach - was fired as the school's offensive coordinator in 2003 for alleged NCAA violations.

The violations, according to a press release dated Aug. 4, 2003 from Alabama State, included playing athletes who were not qualified, holding live strip shows for recruits, and illegal contacting of potential recruits.

The Coles have contested the allegations and the investigation is still on-going.

However, this was not the first time that the Coles were involved with NCAA sanctions.

In January 2000, Johnnie Cole was the offensive coordinator at Tennessee State and L.C. was the head coach. The program, along with several others at the school, were put on probation for three years due to NCAA violations.

While Johnnie Cole was not the head coach at either of these programs, the fact that he shared the same last name with the man who was hurt his chances of employment.

His last job was as head coach at Lane College

Lane College has been placed on four years of probation, will lose athletic scholarships, won't be able to have games shown on television and must forfeit wins for major violations of NCAA rules, the NCAA announced Wednesday.

Lane officials on Wednesday said the school has already taken corrective actions to comply with the NCAA regulations and will not appeal the ruling.

While the school's athletic director was blamed for most of the violations (which happened from 2001 up until a few months ago), it seems Cole keeps running into things like this. He had already left Lane when this was announced.

12. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

you can't let the facts about cole get in the way of a feel-good ending.

Draft saved Draft deleted