1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reid: Gundy's rant ruined my life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Apr 11, 2008.

1. She unfortunately used the word "rumors," but her source was background comments from coaches, players, etc.
    She should have labeled it better, but it was a long stronger than just rumors.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That article proves Reid is a bigger pussy than anyone thought:

* Reid says Gundy's rant "basically ended my life." (Yeah, right, spnited thinks that Top 10 rant isn't a national story -- who the fuck knew who you were before it, Bobby Reid?)
    * After he was finally demoted to second-string, Reid said, "I thought my life was over." (What'll happen if a girl ever breaks up with him?)
    * The mother thinks that if Gundy believed what he said about her son in the rant then, "It wasn't the truth. If it was the truth and this kid does everything right, why wasn't he back on the field?" (Why doesn't she just come right out and say it -- "But my son tries just as hard!")
    * Apparently mother and son sat around the phone waiting for Gundy to call and ask Reid if his feelings were hurt. (Just like a 16-year-old girl waits and waits and waits for a prom date to call.)
    * Reid told his roommate "Bro, I cry myself to sleep almost every night." (Was this guy laughing when he told the reporter that?)
    * He's too good to take a kneel-down to end a game like any other backup QB. His mother says when Reid was asked to do that he was "totally humiliated." (Awwwwwww, it's so hard to be a team player.)
    * After skipping practice for a couple days, Reid didn't want to be labeled a quitter, so he came back to practice and stood there "arms folded." (That'll show 'em! Stand there and stew!!)
    * The mom says, "I read a Chinese proverb one time in a restaurant, and it said, 'A fool at 40 is a fool always.' That tells you everything." (Fortune-cookie wisdom sums the whole thing up! For next season, Bobby Reid and his mother will consult a Magic 8 ball rather than a playboook. "Magic 8 ball, should I throw a deep out to my wide receiver after a checkdown of the safety? ASK AGAIN LATER??? Dammmit, I got sacked!!!")
    * Reid decided he'd never play college football again" -- he'd be a pro instead! Except that now he's in the SWAC. (Notice how Gundy even stood up for the kid here, saying the kid might just get drafted because he will look like a million bucks in workouts. Kinda presented here as a bit of a slam, but it's consistent with the way Gundy's stood up for the kid all the way along.)
    * Reid's got a great attitude now because he plays for a school that needs its goalposts painted? (I bet he won't be the one painting them.)

Gimme a break on this kid. He needs to grow up. No wonder Gundy didn't want anyone coming after him; he knew the kid couldn't handle it.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

A friend turned 40 and his wife had "I'm a man, I'm 40" t-shirts printed up and gave them out to his friends.
    I think that phrase rings a lot of bells, but I had already forgotten the QB's name.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I think it's funny that there was a lot of reaction of people saying "That's the type of coach I'd want my kid to play for. He stands up for his players." And then you find out he never even talked to the kid about it. I don't know anything about Gundy outside of that rant but he came off like a phony then, and even more so now.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

next time you hear a non-sports dork use the line, ask them who "coined" the phrase. i bet less than 10 percent can come up with gundy's name.

6. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

I think Friend was presenting Reid's side of the story, because that's the only unique angle left to work, but the way he lets Reid and his mom bury themselves was priceless. The takeaway I got from the Gundy comments is that this guy looks great on paper. He was a top recruit out of high school because he never got hit. He'll impress the pants off some NFL team willing to take a flyer on him in the seventh-round because it'll just be a workout (where he doesn't get hit). But he can't handle any sort of adversity; the first time he gets hit, he'll either get "hurt" or screw up.

Then again, come to think of it, maybe NFL teams want workout wonders like Reid to be their third-string quarterbacks.

7. Sun Devil May Cry

Sun Devil May Cry New Member

The article was a solid read that finally told Bobby Reid's side of the scenario. Unfortunatly, most people are still going to call him soft.

Looks like Jenni Carlson still likes to question players' toughness and character.

http://www.newsok.tv/?titleID=1497023454

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wow. Someone has an ax to grind.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Seriously? That's not at all what I got from that.

10. Sun Devil May Cry

Sun Devil May Cry New Member

I don't know, maybe The Good Doctor is on the money with me having a bias. After reading Friend's article I was curious to see what Carlson was writing about now and saw the video. Her style and work just come across as really lame to me.

While she does compliment Malcolm Kelly, she also questions if he is one of the "good guys". She phrased the piece like she wasn't talking about his character (using her past articles defending him), while using the pro-day incident to question it.

She thinks he's this great person, but one incident she didn't even have that much info on at the time is making her question it.

Plus she used that "chalk it up" line again and it's so corny.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Each is (was) an HFC at his alma mater, which happens to be a wannabe in a power conference, although Arkansas got a little closer to the elite in its league than OSU has.

Each presides (or, in Nutt's case, presided) over a dysfunctional program while jerking quarterbacks around (that's what they say anyway) and coming off extremely poorly in the public eye.

And, IIRC (can't remember specifics on Nutt at the moment), each has taken a confrontational tone with a member of the media at some point.

12. You have only two posts and they are both about Carlson. Don't we have to assume you have a bias?

Draft saved Draft deleted