1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reid: Gundy's rant ruined my life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Apr 11, 2008.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, it did quote Gundy quite a bit, too. But there was nothing earth-shattering that Gundy did that he really needed to defend (other than accusations that the rant was fake).

Bottom line. Reid says he was treated unfairly. Gundy says he wasn't quite good enough. Not much else to see here, kids.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Legit questions, but I find it easy to believe that a player would react very intensely, perhaps to the point of being out of character, during a pressure situation in a close game...and the rivalry factor shouldn't be underestimated, as well.

3. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Even though the story is heavily slanted toward Reid's side, he still comes across as soft: he contemplated quitting the team multiple times before he finally did it, he cried himself to sleep after being benched, etc. etc. And Mom seems to be way too hands-on for a college athlete.
    I wonder how this story would have turned out if Reid had gone to Ohio State, since Friend mentioned he could have?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How so?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

No offense, folks, but this is hardly a big national story. I suspect most people outside of Big 12 territory even know who Bobby Reid is or care about Gundy's tirade.

And to call it the tirade of the century is totally fucking absurd.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We're not in Big 12 territory, and somebody quotes that rant almost every night. I think it's a more memorable event than you think, spnited.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I know no one who even knows about that rant unless they read it here.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You're a 180 from me then, spnited.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You're from Jersey. You're unaware of anything that happens outside of the Tri-State area.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I guarantee if you mention "Gundy's rant" anywhere within 100 miles of NYC, they'll wonder what Jeff Van Gundy is ranting about.
    I can ask 100,000 people in NY/NJ who Mike Gundy is and maybe 10 would know.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

QED.

12. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I think the story is well-reported and well-written, but I'm just not sure I agree with the angle. After reading that story, I come away feeling that Reid really is a momma's boy. He just strikes me as soft and incapable of dealing with "big time" criticism.

I always thought Gundy's rant was kind of lame. He looked like a fool. But I'm not going to buy into the words of a kid who's bitter about playing time, and I'm certainly not putting a lot of stock into his mother's ramblings.

Draft saved Draft deleted