1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reid goes nuclear...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Oct 7, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

So much for the filibuster. Harry Reid must think his party will not be in the minority any time soon...this was a big mistake.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/186133-reid-triggers-nuclear-option-to-change-senate-rules-and-prohibit-post-cloture-filibusters

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I thought this was Andy at the Wing Bowl.

But since this portends imminent doom for the Democrat Party, allow me to be the first to say:

I am very concerned.

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Thank you very much for your usual informed, thought-provoking response. Way to hit the ball out of the park.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Carlton, if this does indeed end the Senate rules, it's good for Democrats AND Republicans. And of course, if there's Republican control of both houses of Congress and the Presidency in 2013, which could very well happen, the Republicans will immediately end the filibuster anyhow.
    The Senate itself simply ought to be abolished. Why Delaware (my original home state) should have as many votes in a national legislature as California or Texas escapes me. Also, that'd be 100 fewer egomaniacal assholes polluting my television set.

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I can't disagree with you entirely...but do you want the House to be the entire Congress??? I am stunned the Senate Parlimentarian let this happen. It has always seemed to me that the Parlimentarian has always been more concerned with self-survival, and this is a step in the direction you are talking about. What's going to be funny is listening to Reid squawk like a chicken when this rule is used against his party in a little over 14 months.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was thinking Andy when I opened the thread as well. I thought one of his sons showed up at the tabernacle with more heroin.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm with the teabaggers: Show me where in the Constitution it says you need 60 votes to pass every single bill in the Senate.

9. The move also publicly castrated Obama. How can he continue his "Pass this bill - damn Republicans standing in the way of recovery" rants that pose as speeches when Harry Reid has shown he doesn't believe in Obama's economic policies and won't allow a vote on them?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, the truth of your last sentence not withstanding, the government's designed that way so that the Californians and Texans can't totally dominate the Delawarites and the Rhode Islanders. It's designed to provide some sort of balance between big states and small states.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If the Senate is abolished, what's the use of states? Just get rid of them as well.

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

What is amazing is that Reid did this to avoid voting on a bill the President has been asking to be passed "right now." Also, the road to repealing Obamacare just got a lot easier.
    He cut Obama's legs out from under him. Now he can't insist that the Senate Republicans are the lone obstacle to getting his jobs bill passed.

Draft saved Draft deleted