1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reich: Higher Wages Aren't Coming Back, and Here's Why

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Jan 15, 2015.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

We have them -- DAMN rare in our business -- but it's a major part of why I've stayed, even for offers of far more lucrative salaries in other cities. It does inspire some loyalty.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's fine. If you want to say things are tougher for many people than they were during those five decades, you at least have an argument. But Ragu brought up the "Depression" word, which for most people means something a hell of a lot different than the video he linked. I simply took issue with that. And I probably will until the day comes when there AREN'T millions of people standing in lines waiting to buy the latest Apple gadget.

Of course, my dad, a 40-year federal government worker, SOLD most of his vacation time when we were kids simply to make ends meet. So maybe I don't recall the 60s and early 70s quite as bountifully as you do.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Are those the same people who don't have enough for food, shelter and clothing? Or is "Apple gadget" the new "welfare queen"?

We have two economies. There's one for people who are making $100,000 or more. Their incomes go up, they get stock, they do fine. The other economy is for everybody else who falls further and further away from what middle class used to be. That's the point of what Reich is saying -- the incomes of those folks are depressed by the fact that industry can keep playing them against each other.

We used to call it labor, skilled or unskilled. It was enough to provide a lifestyle. That level doesn't exist anymore.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If the video didn't help you get over my using the ' "Depression" word' (random quotes added by you), I'll refer you instead to The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money by John Maynard Keynes. I just pulled it from the book shelf. Still in print after all of these years. I don't know what the word in an economic sense means to you (or to "most" people), but the book introduced much of the terminology used in modern macroeconomics. The person you want me to talk to from the 1930s might have been familiar with it, for what it is worth.

A depression, according to it, is a chronic condition of subnormal activity for a considerable period without any marked tendency towards recovery or towards complete collapse.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you say, but as to your first point, unfortunately some of them ARE the same people. BTE has a point, but I think the income divide is a much bigger issue.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Boy the way Glen Miller played
    Songs that made the hit parade.
    Guys like us we had it made,
    Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
    Girls were girls and men were men,
    Mister we could use a man
    Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
    Everybody pulled his weight.
    Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
    Those were the days.

source: All in the Family Lyrics - Theme Song Lyrics

Boom_70 likes this.
  7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well played !

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The rise of echnology and a global economy are the biggest factors, overall, but the 30-year war on collective bargaining rights has also taken a huge toll on the middle class.

The Erosion of Collective Bargaining Has Widened the Gap Between Productivity and Pay | Economic Policy Institute

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

China was comatose when our dads were working. Eastern Europe might as well have been. India, too.

It's a different landscape now. This IS the "new normal". And instead of gnashing our teeth about how much better things used to be, just be glad that much of the world allowed it to be like that for so long. Gave us a nice head start on a lot of things. Frankly, the party lasted a hell of a lot longer than it should have. Good news is, it can still continue for those who make themselves indispensable to their employers. It's never been easier to learn new things.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The original dream was prosperity for all.
    Hard to attain, but USA is going backward again.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Good take. I will file this away with your theory that newspapers are no worse off now for employees than they were in the 1980s.

Yes, that's it. Lazy goldbricking workers aren't living up to their employers' expectations, that's why we have a middle class that is stagnating or falling behind while the upper class gets richer every year.

FileNotFound likes this.
  12. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Appealing to Keynes as an authority in the same thread that you huff about deficit spending is rich.

Draft saved Draft deleted