1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rehoboth Beach or Ocean City

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KP, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Dewey/Bethany > Rehoboth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ocean Shitty

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My wife and kids go back east every year to Md and venture to the Delaware shore, Bethany is definitely an upgrade over Rehobeth; the only thing Rehobeth has is the cheesy boardwalk which is cool for the first time (I mean funnel cakes which we do not have in the West).

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Rehoboth has better restaurants, and it's not even close. OC has some great ones too, but is also a little less classier a town, not that I don't love it too. Rehoboth is a lot more family friendly than some of you give credit. And Dewey decidedly isn't, even if they're trying to go back that way.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only one who called it Ocean Shitty. Guess not.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm not stepping on any Jersey beach without wearing chain mail and a butt plug.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In other words, your weekend outfit.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

It's been 15 years or so since I visited them both, but I'd say Rehoboth. Both excellent volleyball beaches, but Rehoboth's got/had a little more small-town feel. If you're into mini-golf, though, definitely OC.

9. digger

digger New Member

I just spent 3 days in OC Md. for a volleyball tournament - I've been there probably 6 of the last 7 years - and I love the place. (And this from a guy who grew up on the Jersey Shore).

The boardwalk is nice, it's about as family as any place I've ever been. If you're there, make sure you get a Polish water ice. (I don't know if the other beaches have them or not - I've seen them at Wildwood in Jersey, though).

Food wise, I haven't been anywhere great, but my friends and I always do the buffet at (one of the many) Phillips restaurants. $30, lots of seafood. I don't consider it great, but its a tradition.

To me, most of the Jersey shore boardwalks/beach towns are sleazy(Seaside, Wildwood)/teen oriented with a hint of gang-types (seaside)/boring (AC, Point Pleasant)/dead (Asbury Park, Long Branch).

I've been to Ocean City, New Jersey, a long time ago, the only thing I remember for sure was no alcohol sold in town.

I've never been to to the Delaware beaches (no volleyball tournaments there).

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ocean City was our family vacation spot when I was growing up and where my high school "beach week" took place.
    Haven't been there in years. Could have turned to shit for all I know.
    It is killing me trying to remember the name of the hotel we always stayed in there.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Did they stop playing at Rehoboth? Went there on a Sunday circa May '93 and I counted 59 nets back to back along the beach (and it was some kind of amateur tournament, not the Toyota Series or the EVA, which was the East Coast pro tour back then up against the AVP, about at its peak).
    Does OC still have Big Pecker's Bar & Grill (with the sign also advertising fat, hot crabs)?

12. cortez

cortez Member

Ocean City (Md.) is kind of sleazy nowadays, IMO
    I say Dewey or Rehoboth.
    Regardless, watch out for the undertow. It can get scary this time of year

Draft saved Draft deleted