1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rehab... Your Not Angry!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by eiregi, Apr 26, 2013.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

How does AA conflict with Catholic doctrine?

2. eiregi

eiregi Member

Go to AA meeting

3. dooley_womack1

Um, no need to. It's a meeting to support recovering alcoholics, not a meeting of Freemasons. Surely you can tell my in generic terms what you mean.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I've attended a number of AA meetings and never heard anything that conflicts with Catholic beliefs. In fact, I've met nuns and priests who are in AA.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

^^^^^^

What she said. I know a number of Catholics in AA; they seem to be reconciling things OK.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Pretty sure he means American Airlines.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I may be a little biased because I've known people very close to me who got sober because of AA, but AA is about admitting you have a problem, a willingness to fix the problem and admitting you need help to accomplish that. If your hang up is seeking amends to those who you have wronged if you believe you already have absolution, then I can see that. But the beauty of AA, and why I think it ultimately works for some people, is the accountability. There are people you voice your concerns with and people who care about how you're doing. If that clashes with you, that's fine, but it really helps to have someone you can trust to share problems with before they turn into serious issues that lead to destructive behavior.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You're self medicating on what? How often?

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I guess I don't understand the conflict between Catholicism and AA, considering that one of most-active early allies of AA was Sister Ignatia, a Catholic nun.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Had to pull out my old snuffy2 translator, but this line ...

... makes me wonder if AA doesn't work for him because it makes him feel too guilty afterward, and he's not looking for more guilt trips after 40 years of being Catholic. Just a thought.

11. dooley_womack1

Dooleyfish wasn't up to the challenge.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Maybe you would be less angry if you stopped cutting off your thoughts and fading into ellipses.

Draft saved Draft deleted