1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Regret Or: Breaking Up Sucks.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, May 5, 2011.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

The teardrop fell from her left cheek to my right foot, every centimeter another day we spent together, a tear with a heartbeat, slowly dropping like a boxer who has just been stunned with a right cross.

The teardrop crashed just as hard, exploding into a thousand smaller drops. That's when I knew that it was the end.

We said it wouldn't be. I made her laugh when she confused Colin Farrel and Will Ferrell. I could always make her laugh. We hugged and we cried, we held each other, we loved, we said we loved each other and we cried.

But if we loved, this wouldn't be happening. If it were a strong enough love, we would not be standing here, her tear sliding off her face and falling six feet onto my foot, startling me into realizing it was over. If it was a strong enough love, it wouldn't be over.

She needs more time to focus on her career. I need to not be the second option. She needs time to run errands. I don't mind running errands with her. She doesn't understand that for some reason.

It started so fast, and started so strong, and maybe that's why it hurts so bad to let it go. The first six months had us talking marriage, talking about how we never fought, talking about how I was so different than those assholes who never made her feel beautiful even though she is so fucking stunning that I beamed with pride whenever ever someone said, "Wait, YOU'RE with HER?" And how she was the only one who could put up with my constant griping, who could listen to a buzzsaw like me.

Looking back, even though it's been 20 minutes since that tear hit my toe, that's all I can remember of her. I don't remember the last three months that had me wondering when this day would come. All I remember is that perfection, those amazing eyes that looked up at me, the button nose, 20 times smaller than mine, the smell, oh, fuck, the smell.

My biggest regret of the night was crying so much that my nose is stuffed, because now I can't smell her. Just another regret.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Sorry, dude.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. Be easy on yourself.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My sympathies. But you do have a good treatment to take to the folks at Lifetime. Nice bit of literature in that post.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

linda ronstadt. 'long, long time.' jackson browne. 'late for the sky.' 8)

listen to those two songs. rinse. repeat. ;)

works every time. :D

but seriously, so sorry for your loss. we've all been there. and i am among those who can attest that you will love again... :)

6. dieditor

dieditor Member

God, that Ronstadt song is the saddest three minutes in music as far as I'm concerned. Amazing song.

I know it's cliched, but hang in there, it does get better. Lean on your friends and you'll get through it.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Never fought" can be a bad sign. Not always, but sometimes it can be.

A few weeks into my relationship with the woman who would become my wife, I remember her looking up at me and saying: "You know, you can disagree with me. I'm not going to, like, break up with you."

I suspect she now regrets that exchange :)

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I just can't believe you've needed prodding to get you to disagree with someone.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Sorry to hear that you broke up with her, GBNF. It can either be a really good or really bad sign when you're talking about marriage within six months.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

it got me through the insanely gorgeous/outta my league michelle m. dumping my butt from outta nowhere in the spring of '77.... we were having a hall party in my dorm that night; she met me in library and ripped my heart out. went to my dorm room, replayed 'long, long time' about 50 times. my roomie pops in and says cheerfully, 'hey, dude, where's michelle?'

me: 'listen to the song... listen to the song.'

i got drunk in a hurry that night. ahhh, those were the days.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Once you get over the initial shock, the breakup is really the best part of the relationship.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Sorry that it didn't work out.

My copy editor read through it puts her height at about 6'10".

I wish that we wouldn't have gotten that stupid "check all the numbers in stories and make sure that they add up" memo last week!

Draft saved Draft deleted