1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reggie Bush is going to lose his Heisman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scribbled_Notz, Nov 7, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Are you really naive enough to think Reggie Bush was the only college athlete being paid in some way that the NCAA considers illegal? Do you think Vince Young, the Heisman runner-up, wasn't getting something under the table from Texas boosters?

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I'm waiting for my ballot from the Heisman Trust to vote on whether to take back the trophy.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Exactly

If you go by strict NCAA letter of the law, does anyone think the third string redshirt long snapper at Stony Brook is Heisman eligible? No.

I'm just not a fan of re-writing history. If they've got a problem with him, don't invite him to future events. Don't tell me what I saw him do on the field didn't happen.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

History is in a constant state of revision.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes, he really is that naive.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Pete Carroll wishes he could retroactively put Bush on the field on fourth-and-two against Texas.

7. Point of Order

Sports journalists have to be the most defeatist, negative, pessimistic, doom-and-gloom, woe-is-me, end of the world, bitterest, miserable people I have ever met. No wonder so many of us are disliked.

8. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Oklahoma's Billy Sims gives his reaction to the talk of stripping Reggie Bush of his Heisman. http://bit.ly/dvw5EC

And no, we didn't ask about "BOOMER!" though we really wanted to.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Announced today he's giving it back:

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5572827

10. Point of Order

Whoever drafted the statement really captured the essence Bush's voice didn't they?

"One of the greatest honors of my life was winning the Heisman Trophy in 2005," the statement released by the New Orleans Saints reads. "For me, it was a dream come true. But I know that the Heisman is not mine alone. Far from it. I know that my victory was made possible by the discipline and hard work of my teammates, the steady guidance of my coaches, the inspiration of the fans, and the unconditional love of my family and friends. And I know that any young man fortunate enough to win the Heisman enters into a family of sorts. Each individual carries the legacy of the award and each one is entrusted with its good name.

"It is for these reasons that I have made the difficult decision to forfeit my title as Heisman winner of 2005."

Of course, I guess the alternative would have been to send along Bush's honest rationale for giving it back, which might have sounded as pathetic as Vince Young's quote in the same story linked above.

Damn. People wonder why I distance myself from athletics more and more every day.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I guess I can't figure out why Bush suddenly decided TODAY he needed to give it back?

Reggie Bush is not a dumb guy. He knew taking cash/goodies etc etc was against NCAA rules back in 2005.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Because he heard the Heisman Trust was about to meet and vote he was to be stripped. He looks the bigger man for giving up what was going to be taken

Draft saved Draft deleted