1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reggie Bush is going to lose his Heisman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scribbled_Notz, Nov 7, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Is it remarkable that this thread (and likewise the investigation) was started three years ago, and the chips are still falling? Does it really take this long to close the book on a story that was already essentially written in the fall of 2007?

I know it's not that simple, but there has to be a better way to investigate and litigate this stuff.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's the NCAA, three years is quick for them.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What does the NCAA have to do with the Heisman Trophy?

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The Heisman is for amateur athletes, a category to which Bush did not belong when he won the trophy.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I get that, but as an organization, the Heisman Trophy Trust has nothing to do with the NCAA.

They move with even more torpor than the NCAA does.

6. Point of Order

What's the rush? Should they have decided anything before the NCAA did? That probably wouldn't have been fair. Seems pretty plain they were waiting to follow the NCAA's lead. What's wrong with that?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This is a stupid move and a horrible precedent set by the Heisman Trust that I hope other award organizations don't follow.

Going back and retroactively stripping individual awards simply to feed the bloodlust of a general public who loves to see stars get knocked down a peg or two is a absolutely ridiculous.

To suddenly pretend what Bush did on the field in 2005 didn't happen is an insult to the intelligence of everyone who watched the guy play. It happened. Voters selected a winner based on what they saw. You can't change that.

8. Point of Order

Yeah, the should've just given the 2005 trophy to Peyton Manning in the first place.

::)

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This is like stripping an Olympic champion of his/her medals after the fact because of doping or something else.

It's about the only thing the administrators can do, but it's sort of pointless. The athlete had his/her moment and that's what everyone remembers. Example: The record book will show Carl Lewis as the 1988 Olympic gold medalist in the 100 meters. But, even 20-something years later, what I remember is Ben Johnson winning the race and getting busted for doping. So Lewis has the medal, the title, but it's somewhat hollow.

Same here. People will remember what Bush did, the plays he made, the season he had, etc., regardless of what the books say. Sad that you can't actually rewrite history sometimes.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's not hollow, it's fraudulent, given that Lewis had also been juicing and shouldn't have even been in Seoul in the first place, but his drug use was covered up by the USOC.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't give a crap about Bush or the HT, but....
    if I was Bush and they stripped me, I'd make sure for the rest of my career every touchdown I scored I'd do the "pose" in the end zone. (of course that may not be a whole bunch of times)

He had a phenomenal 2005 season and free cars or whatever didn't have anything to do with it.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, Shoeless, but shouldn't he be required to play by the same rules as everyone else while competing as a college athlete?

Draft saved Draft deleted